Gearbox Removal

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
PeteGLi
fill in the right answer: 10

Gearbox Removal

Post by PeteGLi »

When removing, and re-installing the gearbox (on a 1.8 inj DX engine code), does the flywheel have to be in a specific position in order to separate the gearbox easily from the engine block?

On my old I.6 FR engine, the flywheel had a cutout which allowed the inboard driveshaft flange to slip over it, but the 1.8 flywheel doesn't.

I did get the gearbox off eventually, but I had to j....j....j....jiggle it a bit, Granville.

Obviously, I would rather it slides back on with a lot less effort than it took to get it off.

Also, should the clutch friction plate be the same size as the clutch pressure plate. My pressure plate is 210mm, but the friction plate is smaller at 200mm.

markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Gearbox Removal

Post by markh »

When i changed the clutch on my GTX a couple of weeks ago, i didnt need to have the flywheel in any particular position to get the box out. It was relatively easy to get back in (apart from the weight of the bloody thing !), you obviously need to make sure the friction plate is central, and that the gearbox is in gear, then just jiggle the thing about until it slides in place. I fitted an LUK clutch kit, and im sure the friction plate was exactly the same diameter as the pressure plate.

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Cheers Mark,
It is a LUK clutch I have on there.
I will check the new LUK clutch kit before I hand over any cash !
If the new friction plate is 210mm, then I may need a new flywheel as the smaller friction plate seems to have worn the biting surface of the flywheel.

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Looks like someone fitted the wrong size friction plate at some time in the past. In the new clutch kit both pressure and friction plates are the same size!

Anyone know if it is possible to get the biting surface of the flywheel machined flat again, or do I need to get a new flywheel?

markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Pretty sure they can be machined Pete, obviously depending how much material needs to be removed to give a good mating face.

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

You can get flywheels machined, but it's probably not worth it, unless you get mates rates at a machine shop.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!