Brake Bleeding (New Calipers)

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Brake Bleeding (New Calipers)

Post by GT_II »

Have you tried rotating each wheel in turn by hand while the brakes are gradually applied? If you're getting next to no braking force at the front, this should be easy to confirm with the wheel fitted but difficult to detect with the wheel off the hub.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

That's a good idea. I will try it.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Have decided the new calipers are not up to the required standard. They mat nor be the root of the bleeding issues but they do not fit lime the old ones. They don't hold the spring clips under any pressure. Clips just loose.
I am refurbishingnold calipers.ImageImageImage

GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Found the problem!!
On the new calipers the sleeves the bolts go through had thinners walls therefore larger bore meaning bolts were not a snug fit and lots of play within the sleeves. Replaced them with sleeves from old calipers and fitted new rubbers sleeves as well. Now a good fit. Now just need to get the wife to assist in the 100th bleeding attempt.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Not good for a safety critical part. I hope you're back up and running soon.

GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Agree. Lucky I spotted straight away something not right. Took me a while to discover why so much movement on new calipers.

GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Caliper issus sorted but still bleeding the brakes. Pedal is really good until I start the engine then it goes extremely spongy. Obviously some sort of servo issue but I find exactly what the problem is.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Is it possible you have just become hyper-sensitive to the feel of the brakes? I've been caught out be that myself after working on the brakes. It is normal for the pedal to sink further under foot pressure when the engine is started - that proves the servo is working, as the servo multiplies your foot pressure. What is important is how it feels on a test drive. Also, bear in mind new discs and pads will feel feel less effective for the first 50 miles or so until they run in.

GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

That's a very good point. Thanks. Will give it some time and put some miles on the new brakes.