GEARBOX WITH HYDRAULIC CLUTCH

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
petrolboy
fill in the right answer: 15

GEARBOX WITH HYDRAULIC CLUTCH

Post by petrolboy »

I have a 1985 Scirocco Storm with cable operated clutch and would like to change the gearbox to one with a hydraulic clutch

I propose to use one of the conversion kits to the clutch pedal, but would need a gearbox with hydraulic operated clutch that is compatible with the 1800 engine fitted in 1985

Anyone got any thoughts on that one please

Terry

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: GEARBOX WITH HYDRAULIC CLUTCH

Post by mark1gls »

I’ve seen the Mk1 Golf boys use a hydraulic clutch but not sure which gearbox is used, might be worth searching online for Mk1 Golfs.

The clutch will be heavy if the cable is not routed correctly or at an angle at the gearbox end or catching on the bulkhead, removing the cable and pouring some 3in1 drip oil along the cable can help free it up.

If the clutch is old they do get heavy over time, after fitting a new clutch In my car the pedal was so much lighter to use.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Quick search seems to say 02A to 02J gearbox is needed, you may need to check what size drive shaft flanges you have as I think you will need 100mm but not sure?

https://www.retrofication.co.uk/MK1DIYHydro.html

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
essextom

Post by essextom »

i have seen some people use a hyd setup on an o2o box, i think they used some type of willwood slave cylinder.
ive a hyd setup on my 20vt and its not much lighter than the cable setup. changing master cylinder sizes could change that though