Front suspension leg shock cartridge

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Blueshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Front suspension leg shock cartridge

Post by Blueshark »

p in phcas wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:06 pm
Blueshark wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:47 pm And if you realy Fu.. them up I have refurbished sets for sale ;-).

Joost
Joost, do you live in a scirocco parts warehouse?
Yes I do, I have multiple parts in stock, used, refurbed and new.
So If you need anything just ask.

Joost

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

With new parts in hand, reassembly has started. New springs, top mounts, top spring cap etc.

Question. With the top mount / bearing on and tightened, how much play should there be?

There’s a sleeve in the top mount bearing that sits proud so you can’t tighten onto the bearing. Mine is about 1mm higher so there’s play. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The sleeve is meant to be a sort of thick crunch washer but I’ve never been able to crush them so I grind a little off them, I use a dermal type tool with a grinding stone the same size or bigger than the sleeve an grind a little off.

Last time I use reused the old ones as they worked ok but there is still a small amount of play as the mount still needs to twist on the strut.

I also pack them with a bit of grease which helps.

You can also help the life of the top mounts by filling the gap underneath them, I used some silicone from gun on mine and it’s help so far.
Bit more info on this in this link.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... sion-top_2

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323