Gearbox end cover removal

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hiltow

Gearbox end cover removal

Post by hiltow »

I need to replace the gasket between the 5 speed manual gearbox casing on my Mk2 and the end cover, which bolts to it. This is due to an oil leak from the gasket.

Is it possible to unbolt and remove the end cover from the gearbox casing without the rigmarole of having to remove most of the engine & gearbox mountings and exhaust to tilt the engine and box down below the engine bay flitch panel to allow access?

Looking at it there seems to be about at least an inch gap to pull it away from the main gearbox casing. Haynes advises tilting the engine, but this seems too drastic just to replace that gasket.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Gearbox end cover removal

Post by mark1gls »

Can’t say I’ve ever had to replace that gasket so unsure how much room you need..

Have you tried nipping up the bolts a bit to see if that stops the leak?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
hiltow

Post by hiltow »

I might give that a try. I think the leak is coming from the new VW gasket fitted a few years ago. For some reason, whilst it was the right shape the width of the pattern is wider than that of the castings it's supposed to seal, hence the slight leak.

I need to study it again, but the thing that might prevent the cover from being removed is the amount of room between the bolt heads and the body shell - the distance will need to be greater than the length of those bolts to have the room to pull them out of the way. There might then also be access needed to the clutch pushrod mechanism to detach the cover casing. That might be why it has to be tilted down below the bodyshell to be able to get the green circular cover off to get at it.

Still seems excessive to have to do that to repl the gasket.

Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Village Idiots »

Too often it's a case of those who design cars don't have to do the maintenance on them!

hiltow

Post by hiltow »

Weighing it up, after looking at the car I think that it would just be possible to remove the end cover casing with access from underneath and careful use of spanners / sockets....

....but I'm thinking that before the end cover will come away, perhaps some of the clutch mechanism inside might need to be disconnected. The only way to get to it is probably to remove the round green end-cap. Only way to do that would be to tilt the gearbox downwards out of the way of the inner wing.