Ream brake line removal from Wheel cylider.

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
h11poc
fill in the right answer: 15

Ream brake line removal from Wheel cylider.

Post by h11poc »

Hi all, I have to replace the rear axel stud and drum but am having a nightmare with the rear brake line. It seems welded into the cylinder as loads of plusgas and brute force cannot shift it. Same with the hex bolt at top of wheel cylinder. The brake nut is rounded now so I need to remove the pipe and replace but i am stuck as to what to order from classicVW or the Ebay. Also, how are you supposed to get the other end of the brake line off?? I can see a 12 mm size bolt holding the brake line to the rear beam in but cant fit any spanner on at all...

I am hoping those here who have removed the rear brake line can help..

Paul

h11poc
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Ream brake line removal from Wheel cylider.

Post by h11poc »

IN case anyone is wondering the conclusion of this ... well, these pipes had been on for thirty years.. be prepared to replace the majority of pipes and hack, cut and splice almost the entire rear brake pipe system away :-)

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Ream brake line removal from Wheel cylider.

Post by mark1gls »

Some crows feet sockets can also help with the tight spaces near the rear beam.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383407770077 ... SwuOZeOu5Z

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323