Mk 2 Scirocco front and rear springs

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Jerry Atric
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Jerry Atric »

Can anyone tell me the colour code that is correct for Scirocco Storm mk 2 front springs please ?

I don't think the rear ones are colour coded but if they are, then also what colour code is applicable to them ?

Thank you.

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

I picked up on this link, seems people have been having problems with this topic.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1464067.

Not sure if this thread is of any help.
Perhaps someone with a storm could check the colour marker on their springs; if it’s still showing??

Will a vw dealer know this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
C 20 CCO

Re: Mk 2 Scirocco front and rear springs

Post by C 20 CCO »

Also looked on club GTI to see if they had something

https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.ph ... es.273686/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Thanks Dave for the reply. All I can say is " My God, it's a complete hornets nest when it comes to finding what is the correct colour code "

Have already checked out 7Zap and they list the Scirocco springs , front, under part number 171 411 051

However it appears with four different letters after it , namely J,G, H, and F.

There is a de-code with colours above but for only two of the letters as far as I can see and they are "J" 2 white paint spots , and "H" 2 green paint spots.

However there is no way of knowing which type goes on which model of Scirocco.

A good mate has offered me the springs off his car , but they only have a single green spot so no idea if they are correct or not, altho' they do come from a Storm , which is what I want them for. So as of now will not know until I fit if they give the correct ride height and comfort.

All this is because I had all the suspension replaced on my Storm and it now resembles an off roader vehicle with jacked suspension.....not the look I was after.

Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Further to my last post , have screen shot the information from 7Zap and this shows the variations of springs and their colour codes.

Only trouble is it doesn't show which spring is applicable to what model.

So guess one has to rely on seeing whats on your car originally assuming rust hasn't eaten away at the paint spots....most likely I'd have thought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

If you are after some new springs which are good quality, slightly lower and a comfortable ride and lots of people have fitted how about these?

Might go for a low price with all thats going on?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Pro-K ... 1438.l2649

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Thanks for the heads up on that Mark. However, will most likely go for stock replacements as being a Storm , I reckon originality is everything.

Got my original rear springs back yesterday and they have very clearly marked two yellow spots, but the front springs are just a mass of rust and nothing is discernible on them.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I guess most original springs would of lost there marking by now, I can’t remember what marking were on my mums Mk2 Storm springs as that was only about 6 years old when she had it. Luckily we found the car again a few years ago and it’s not sat in my brothers garage awaiting restoration.

Membership No. 323
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Hi Mark, look forward to hearing how you get on with restoring your Mothers Storm, what colour is it and what sort of condition ?

A good contact is selling me a set of front springs which from the pictures I have seen, look to be in great condition and are from a Blue Storm which is now being broken having suffered a very nasty front end collision.

They have a single green spot on them , so from what little I have gleaned so far, Storm springs would appear to be single green spot fronts, and two yellow spots rear.

I did buy that set of Eibach springs, also but am now in a slight quandary which ones to have fitted. The one thing I don't want to do is sacrifice a reasonable ride just for looks......

Anyone on here used those Eibach springs and if so what is the ride like with them ?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Blue storm, rusty rear wheel arches,1 with a poor repair. Couple holes in the floor and rusty rear valance... more info here but it's an old post so alot of pictures have gone (thanks to photobucket).. It's my brother who is starting the restoration.

http://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vie ... =19&t=2747

Membership No. 323
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Small world. Just checked out the video as the story sounded familiar and I was the first to comment on your brothers video.

Looks like a brave project to be honest.

ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

Jerry Atric wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:59 pm Can anyone tell me the colour code that is correct for Scirocco Storm mk 2 front springs please ?

I don't think the rear ones are colour coded but if they are, then also what colour code is applicable to them ?

Thank you.
My Storm still has the original front springs and it is a single green mark on the fronts. My rear springs are new and I'm not sure if the originals had visible marks left. But if they did have two yellow marks, the part number for the rears would be 531-511-105A 952. The part number for the front springs may be 171-411-105H 951

Good luck!
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Hi Tom, many thanks for that very informative reply.

The state of play at the moment with the Storm is that the Eibach springs are now fitted on my Storm. It looks great , but due to lock down was only able to drive the car 4 miles from the local garage back to my house.

On first brief impression the ride of the car is excellent.

However, I have also sourced a set of excellent front springs ( with green spot ) and the rears off my car were in good shape so if in the future I sell the car, any new owner could return the car to its original set up if he/she so wanted.

Your information reference part numbers is invaluable and I will note down for the cars history.

Thank you very much. :ok:

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

That sounds like a good plan and what I would do :good:

The Eibach springs are a good bit of kit

Membership No. 323
ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

Jerry Atric wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 pm Hi Tom, many thanks for that very informative reply.

The state of play at the moment with the Storm is that the Eibach springs are now fitted on my Storm. It looks great , but due to lock down was only able to drive the car 4 miles from the local garage back to my house.

On first brief impression the ride of the car is excellent.

However, I have also sourced a set of excellent front springs ( with green spot ) and the rears off my car were in good shape so if in the future I sell the car, any new owner could return the car to its original set up if he/she so wanted.

Your information reference part numbers is invaluable and I will note down for the cars history.

Thank you very much. :ok:
Hi Jerry - that's great that you got it sorted. I'm sure you'll be pleased when you drive it further - the stock suspension, even in good condition, is a little "floaty" compared to a modern car. Did you switch dampers too or stick with stock ones? Maybe you can post some pictures when you get a chance - would love to see your Storm sitting on its new suspension!
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6