Replaced auto box - catastrophe or teething trouble!!

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
kidcrewbob
fill in the right answer: 15

Replaced auto box - catastrophe or teething trouble!!

Post by kidcrewbob »

So, spent last 3 weekends removing & replacing the 010 TJA trans in my Mk2 Scala - this primarily due to excessive vibration in D & R when stopped AND nasty snatchy upshift from 1-2 despite full ATF and filter change.

It's been a slow process as I'm learning how to wield spanners again after 30 years or more plus not really under any pressure of time. Finally put everything back together again yesterday, only to find that replacement box didn't seem to behave particularly well. Drove gently around the block but was a rough ride - revving inconsistently, bit noisy, not biting and when trying to back in - hey, no reverse !!!!

Pulled onto the drive and checked ATF - not even registering on dip stick even though I’d overfilled to allow torque converter to suck up what it needs (you only seem to be able to partly fill the TC - takes 3 litres itself apparently!) - so chucked another couple of litres of ATF in and gingerly drove 50 yards and back but engine now cutting out as well.

Started again & tried reverse and this time was able to select ok - had to rev quite hard to get it to bite but what a row and the shaking was scary - FFS.

So, have I :-

a) just replaced a duff box with another (despite the vendors assurance that there was nothing wrong with it - he was doing a manual conversion)

b) not got ATF where it needs to be yet or perhaps still not enough (takes 6 litres I think from dry - 3 in trans, 3 in TC)

c) carb / fuelling problem causing chaos with the gear changing...

d) something else!

Appreciate any views on this - really a bit deflated and dreading having to go from scratch again...!!!

kidcrewbob
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Replaced auto box - catastrophe or teething trouble!!

Post by kidcrewbob »

After much research (google!) now strongly suspect the valve body is duff - I found a very small ball-bearing on the floor that I think must have dropped during the ATF / filter change which will explain most if not all of the symptoms so removed the VB from the original and giving that a complete overhaul and inspection to swap in - if that fails then best of the two off to refurb which can be done c.£200. Bit of a pain but has taught me loads and now unafraid of pulling trannys to bits ;-)

This forum, the Golf Mk1, Vortex & Samba forums are invaluable sources - so hats off to all who contribute.