what suspension springs for softer ride

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
EDDIE-F
fill in the right answer: 15

what suspension springs for softer ride

Post by EDDIE-F »

I have a MK2 Scirocco 1.8 with a carb. I have spent lots of money on it but i cannot get past the fact it is vurtually un-driveable on country roads. Due to concrete hard suspension. it literally feels like the car is trying to destroy itself! The coilover suspension has red springs and there is no obvious make or model on them. There only a couple of years old and were fitted by the previous owner. there is a lowered effect as a result, but god its bumpy.
Anyone running the coilover/dampers sets you see on ebay etc?
I would throw some more money at a set if i knew some to buy that would be ok.
might have to get rid of it before the whole car snaps in half due to stress fracturing!
Eddie
Ashford
Kent

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: what suspension springs for softer ride

Post by mark1gls »

You could try and raise the car which may help the ride...

If you wish to change back to springs and shocks you will need the front struts and maybe some washers etc.. Springs and shocks will give you a more comfortable ride, you need to spend a lot to get good coil overs so I expect you are riding about on £150 specials...

Kit with front struts. They do sell the fit with front shocks as inserts but must be out of stock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Lower ... SwPzhZ-ezo

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

For optimal comfort you'll have to revert back to the standard 4x4 set-up. A nearly complete (its missing top spring caps) standard shock/spring combo can be had from Germany for a couple of hundred quid -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/standard-ori ... 3670951478?

For a comfy ride on coilovers you'll have to spend over £650 - Spax RSX, BC Racing, ST etc - as you'll need some kind of adjustable damping. That's the only way to maintain a "sporty" ride height and keep some semblance of ride quality.

EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

Hi
Thanks for the excellent replies options look ok . I do like the eibach set .Though I think i made a mistake. They are not coil overs on my car but original design low and stiff versions. I am going to have another look for a makers mark. Do not want to replace with same spec by mistake. This issue will sorted hopefully by the national meet

EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

To put this to rest it turns out i have 4 shocks and 4 struts but with lowering springs on. I looked closely with car on ground and all four corners were sitting on the original full length bump stops! Literally a solid rubber suspension.
I cut all the bump stops down by half and the car is transformed
Smooth firm ride, quieter, the whole car just drives better.
Brilliant.
Ed

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Common mistakes of lowering the car and no fitting or shortening the bump stops then.

I made that mistake the 1st I lowered my car. :-D

If you are still on the original shocks might be worth looking at replacement in the not to distant future as they don’t like being run low if spent time at standard height, I find they start to leak.

I would avoid Boge shocks as I’ve been through 2 front sets in 4 years and 40,000 miles...

Eibach/Blisten is a nice set up but it can be a little bumpy on Somerset’s back roads which are rough in places, only a minor floor if I’m being picky..

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323