Speedo stops when clutch depressed?

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
timmaaah
fill in the right answer: 15

Speedo stops when clutch depressed?

Post by timmaaah »

Odd issue in the missus' 1992 GT2.

The speedo stops when the clutch is depressed. Doesn't matter if it's in gear or neutral - when driving along as soon as you depress the clutch the speedo needle drops to zero.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance :)

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Speedo stops when clutch depressed?

Post by mark1gls »

well that's a new one, never heard of that before.....

At a guess as the speedo is run from a cable, bulk head is cracking/flexing when pressing the clutch pedal and pulling the speedo cable out the back of the instrument cluster... get your hand up behind the cluster and push the speedo cable in and if you don't have a strengthening plate for the clutch cable fit one NOW as it's just a matter of time before the clutch cable pulls through the bulk head, VW very bad design.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by essextom »

i tried this earlier and can confirm that mine keeps showing speed with clutch depressed.

scirocco_ne
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by scirocco_ne »

There is a little plastic weak as water bracket that holds the speedo cable up to the body.

If it breaks the cable interferes with the clutch pedal massively. I had to drill my bracket and use a tie mounted to it after the clip area broke off.

Its easily possible it could affect the speedo or as others have said the whole bulkhead could be flexing.