Bang on lock dropping off curbs?

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Bang on lock dropping off curbs?

Post by GT_II »

Could it be something unrelated like a loose battery?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

GT_II wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:52 pm Could it be something unrelated like a loose battery?
It sounds like its from the suspension. Its a clear sharp thump as if metal is meeting metal with nay rubber in between haha

Like i said before its all new so I'm stumped, im sure my old rocco didn't do this :/

chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

james butler wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:29 am sounds like top mount bearing has a lot of play in it
+1 for this. our cars have bonded rubber design top mounts that are notoriously failure prone. the kerb hopping won't have helped either!

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

chopperoli wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:24 am
james butler wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:29 am sounds like top mount bearing has a lot of play in it
+1 for this. our cars have bonded rubber design top mounts that are notoriously failure prone. the kerb hopping won't have helped either!
I haven't bounced it up any curbs hard. I have merely noticed it sounds unhealthy when pulling off one. Do people get faulty top mounts from new?

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Yes top mounts now a days seem to be rubbish... what make top mount did you buy?
I found a set a Meyle ones collapsed after 4 months on the car and I’d only driven it about 30 miles... Febi seem to be better but lucky if you get a couple of years/24,000 miles out of a set on today’s roads...

Could also be the top mount bush needs a little filed off it to reduce the play, packing the bearing with grease can also help. If the car is on the floor you can undo the big nut and with 2 small screw drivers prize the bush out.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Brunty
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Brunty »

Hi, we spoke this morning...

This clang noise, possible spring hitting something? Have a look for witness marks.

Brunty