Steering issues!

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Dave185
fill in the right answer: 15

Steering issues!

Post by Dave185 »

Hello all,

Having a few issues with regards to steering at the moment, which is quite concerning! When changing direction (right to left and left to right) the steering wheel occasionally stiffens up and becomes difficult to rotate. But only for about 5-10 degrees of steering wheel rotation, then the steering feels light and normal again... sometimes goes *clunk* but it isn’t anywhere near full lock.

It’s a non power steering mk2.

I have just got it up on stands and removed the steering gaitor (drivers side) and it was a beautiful brown waterfall that greeted me. I’m guessing that the rack and ball joint that the rubber boot surrounds should be coated in some kind of grease, and not brown water ...

CV joints are fine, as are the front bearings as these were replaced not so long ago.

Looking for guidance as to if this is the source of my problem, and if so which grease to coat everything in so the steering might feel normal again (assuming the rack hasn’t suffered permanent damage).

Any replies would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Dave.

VW Golf mk1 Clipper Cabby 1.8 - 1988 (now sold)
VW Corado G60 -1992 (now sold)
VW Karmann Ghia - 1969 (now sold)
VW Golf VR6 - 1996
VW Golf Mk2 Type19 - 1984
VW Scirocco Mk2 GT 1.6 - 1989
DT1
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Steering issues!

Post by DT1 »

I had a similar issue, very stiff turning left, fine turning right, turned out to be water in the steering rack.

I wouldn't take the chance with a repair or trying to grease, just replace. It's your steering after all.

Dave185

Post by Dave185 »

Think you might be right. It’s deffo water in the rack that is causing this issue. Grease has helped for now, but only driving to pick up a new rack! Haha!

VW Golf VR6 - 1996
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

How does the rubber UJ boot look as they get baked by the exhaust down pipe, they can crack or fall apart and water etc gets into the steering rack.

Changing the steering rack with the engine in and the car on axel stands is possible but access is tight, you need to remove the exhaust down pipe to get to the bolts, new rubber or poly bushes is a good idea and check bulk head for rust or damage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-RABB ... =R40&rt=nc

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Dave185

Post by Dave185 »

I noticed that the UJ boot was perished about 6 months ago,so guess there has just been a constant slow ingress of rainwater whilst driving. Looks like next weekend is going to be a busy one then!

Cheers for the replies!

VW Golf VR6 - 1996
moser

Post by moser »

If it’s just a tight spot on the steering I’d be inclined to say it’s the u/j starting to seize up. The rack shouldn’t have water in it and won’t be long for this world. But if you’re changing it do the u/j as well

91 Scirocco Scala - Too low for MOT ramps apparently
03 Seat Cordoba PD130 - Daily
52 Golf 1.6 - Mrs' shopping trolley
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

moser wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:25 pm If it’s just a tight spot on the steering I’d be inclined to say it’s the u/j starting to seize up. The rack shouldn’t have water in it and won’t be long for this world. But if you’re changing it do the u/j as well
Just check the UJ as they can be tricky to find and they seem to sell for silly money, I’ve seen them around the £50 to £70 mark 2nd hand when new they would of cost £30.....

As water was coming out of the steering rack I would be looking there 1st.

Buy a new rubber UJ boot and wrap it with a Plumbers solder May with some cable ties to keep the heat away from it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Resista ... =R40&rt=nc

Membership No. 323
Dave185

Post by Dave185 »

I’ll scratch around under the car again today and see what it is like. By the sounds of it, it might just be worth changing it all and knowing it’s done for the foreseeable future.

VW Golf VR6 - 1996
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You do need to remove at least 1 track rod as the rack does not come out as a complete unit as there’s not enough room.
Worth fitting new track rods ends if they look old, you need to remove the rear engine mount to gain access to the steering rack fixing, I did read the clamps are sided so keep them on the same side you remove them.

You need to measure and set up the lengths of the track rods and centralise the steering rack, all the info you need is in the Haynes manual or as if you don’t have a copy.

Membership No. 323
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

With the rear mount out I did manage to pull my old rack out, although it wasn't easy, that might just be because it was an automatic rack, not sure if a manual (With the linkage bracket) would have been as easy.

When installing the manual rack I put it in without the track rods, centred everything in the car and had a wobbly drive to the garage for an alignment.

- David