ATS Cups - OS front rubbing

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
casiofi
fill in the right answer: 15

ATS Cups - OS front rubbing

Post by casiofi »

Got a set of ATS Cups, ET20, with 195/45R15 tyres on. They clear fine apart from the front driver's side, which scrubs on the outer edge arch liner. The only reasons I can think of are: the weight of me in the car makes the suspension sit just a bit too low (doubtful as I'm 70kgs and having a passenger doesn't make the other side scrub); or the camber is off (much more likely as I haven't had it checked in my 25k mile ownership). Is there anything else it could be? Has had new springs and shocks up front in the past year, and has had the tracking done for the last MOT, so shouldn't be either of those. Standard Avus snowflakes are fine, and no odd tyre wear.

unknownmale

Re: ATS Cups - OS front rubbing

Post by unknownmale »

I had the same issue with my old ATS cups, same tyre size. I just added a small amount of negative camber to get them to clear.

My car was also a fair bit lower than stock. If your rubbing on standard shocks i'm guessing you have lowering springs? Wouldn't have thought standard springs would be low enough to rub.

- David
casiofi

Post by casiofi »

That's what I was thinking of doing. And yes, I knew I forgot something, running on Eibach lowering springs -30mm. Cheers!

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

is the camber set up properly? if you have ever departed the hub from the shocks you will need to have the camber set up properly or like your finding out it will rub.
i am surprised though if it is incorrect you would be getting odd tyre wear?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!