H & R 35mm Lowering Springs - will they fit my model? Any help?

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Mk3GTS
fill in the right answer: 15

H & R 35mm Lowering Springs - will they fit my model? Any help?

Post by Mk3GTS »

Basically, I have a 8 month old VW Scirocco 2.0 TSI GTS with DSG gearbox And I want to get some mods done. There are two mods I would like to get done soon:

1. Lowering the ride height, so the centre of gravity is lower and improved handling, plus a better look with it being lowered a bit.

2. Fitting a MillTek non-resonating cat back exhaust.

I’m getting so much different information from people and I really don’t know what to do. I met a great guy from this site who has a VW Scirocco 2.0 TSI GT and has lowered his car with H&R 35mm springs. I got to drive his car and I really like the look and feel of it. He also has the MillTek Non- res exhaust, which sounds great.

There’s this guy at a garage near me (He’s a VW master tech). He said he wouldn’t advise me buying H&R springs. He mentioned something about my car already being lowered and and that I may not see any difference if I have the H&R springs fitted (which I have already purchased from Demon Tweeks). I’m also booked in at another garage to have them fitted. If there’s going to be no difference then it would be a complete waste of money. I’m trying to get rid of the large gap between the wheels and wheel arch, but obviously I don’t want to compromise the car in any way with possible damage to it. Which is another thing some people have said.

Does anyone here understand what I’ve been told about the GTS already being lowered compared to other models and that H&R 35mm springs would make no difference??

Why am I seeing a fairly large gap above above the wheels then??

Another person from a company called VW Parts International has recommended VWR VWRacing Springs. Does anyone know about these??

Back to the VW guy where I live....he is recommending the KW CoilOvers as he says I will get the look I want without compromising the car in any way and the ride will be less harsh. Plus the ride height can be adjusted easily. Is that a good route to go down do you think? Some people have said it’s overkill for a road car like mine. I’m aware of the cost too.

Then there’s the exhaust. I thought I’d just be able to take the car to one of these independent VW garages and get the exhaust fitted. But I’m being told the one for my car hasn’t been released and MillTek don’t have plans to make one for the GTS because there’s such little demand. I have seen on eBay a MillTek Sport 2.75 Cat Back Non Res Exhaust GT80 for the GT and GTS. Again I don’t want to buy if it won’t fit.

I have made enquiries with a company called PowerFlow Exhausts and they can fabricate an exhaust for me and get the sound I want for £415 plus VAT.

As I have said, many different people including MillTek have said it’s not available, so I’m really confused. I don’t want to buy something that won’t fit my car.

I thought getting these mods done would be straightforward, but it’s anything but easy and is stressing me out.

I really hope you can help me and explain or advise me as I have extremely little knowledge of cars except driving my Scirocco. I love the car and know what I want to achieve, but getting there is proving difficult.

Sorry for long message, thanks for reading :)

liam_0404

Re: H & R 35mm Lowering Springs - will they fit my model? Any help?

Post by liam_0404 »

I can't see the GTS model being 35mm lower than the GT, VW usually drop the ride by 10mm or so on the optional packs or better models. Looks like the GTS has a little more power and some nicer alloys? You'd probably end up being 20mm lower than you are now (I could be wrong though, just having a guess).

Exhaust wise it looks exactly the same as the other models, so can't see it being that different, might just be the model type hasn't been confirmed by the exhaust manufacturer so it's showing as non-compatible. I'd probably go Powerflow though, Milltek are good but you do pay a bit of "scene tax" for them.

The Scirocco is the same as my Mk5 GTI underneath, so the parts should be pretty standard across both models and can't see VW making the models vastly different.

Hope that helps a bit...

Liam.

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'02 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 I6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Powerflow exhausts are custom made so in theory they should be able to make one for any car - its' just bendy pipes after all :D

Speak to http://www.tuningwerkes.com in Croydon regarding the VWR springs and whether they're suitable for the GTS.

Mk3GTS

Post by Mk3GTS »

Hi Liam,

Really appreciate your reply, which is really helpful. Apologies for not replying sooner.

I'm excited to get the mods done :)

Jon

Mk3GTS

Post by Mk3GTS »

Hi mr.brown,

Cheers for replying to my posting. I have been in touch with Reuban at Tuningwerkes (very helpful guy).

Jon