how low can i go

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
sidewalkdave

how low can i go

Post by sidewalkdave »

basicly im wanting to lowwer the scirocco its a 91 scala with 15'' wheels.
how low can i go i was settled on a 40mm drop but now i want 60mm will there be any rubbing?
also can some one put up a link to the ebay cheapies that loads of you are using i found some on there just wanna make sure there the right ones
cheers dave

SCOTMCDOT
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: how low can i go

Post by SCOTMCDOT »

Lowering a car is difficult to get right in my opinion. The shorter springs need a different spring rating to the original springs. This has to carefully worked out to compensate for the lack of length and to ensure that roadholding is improved but ride is not ruined. Remember you are driving on proper roads with proper potholes.

From experience with other cars you may be better sticking to the 40mm drop, but i would be interested to see what others think on the subject having actually lowered their Roccos, as i will be lowering mine soon. Not sure if these are specific lowering springs for Roccos? Dont just go for the lowest car possible as it may ruin your handling, and whats the point of having a cool low car if it is undriveable.

I assume you were not planning on chopping them as this would invariably mean you would die.... :zombie:

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Coileys are definitely the way forward but they aren't cheap.
Height wise I reckon it's pretty much horses for courses, it's one of those things that comes up again and again. Personally I think the Rocco, without any assistance, handles like a massive water filled canoe.
Brace it and lower it however and you've got a car that sticks to the road like poo to a blanket.
But don;t just take my word for it. The only experience I have is a weekend car, it was really comfortable and responsive but I'm not sure I could drive it all day every day.
Rubbing wise if you;re concerned get the arches rolled. You only need the rears done as removing the poo shield from the front work wonders up front but get it done properly and get everything sealed!

If you remember nothing else remember this:
The Front Bottom (pffft) strut brace is the finest piece of kit you can buy.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I keep seeing word that front lower strut brace is a must. Where do I get a cheap one and how much will I pay? I presume second hand is as good as new as long as no kinks? It sounds a lot like I need one of these. Cheers, boys.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

OMP ones are fine and can be had from places like Demon Tweeks for about £30.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Nate

Post by Nate »

i had some weitec -60mm kit on the scala. it only stayed on there for a month. it was then replaced with eibach -40mm, which was much easier on the spine. stuck to the road well with the weitecs, but it just wasn't any good if you came up against either a pot hole or a speed ramp

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
skattrd

Post by skattrd »

Junglist wrote:I keep seeing word that front lower strut brace is a must. Where do I get a cheap one and how much will I pay? I presume second hand is as good as new as long as no kinks? It sounds a lot like I need one of these. Cheers, boys.
As said by edmunsator, they're about £30 new and available in lots of places
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0014828461

Mk1 golf lower ones fit, some upper ones do, but some fowl the bonnet.
Rear braces make a bit of difference but not alot and ruin the boot space .. I've still got mine fitted though.

Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

Junglist wrote:I keep seeing word that front lower strut brace is a must. Where do I get a cheap one and how much will I pay? I presume second hand is as good as new as long as no kinks? It sounds a lot like I need one of these. Cheers, boys.
If anyone has a drawing for one, please let me know... and see! I wish to make one, but can't at home, adn can't have the car up in the air at work for that long!

cheers, Jay.

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
sidewalkdave

Post by sidewalkdave »

ok i'll go with 40mm then how easy is it all to fit i am a complete novice am i capable of doing this

RoccoGuy

Post by RoccoGuy »

SCOTMCDOT wrote:I assume you were not planning on chopping them as this would invariably mean you would die.... :zombie:

i really hope that was meant to be sarcastic, makes me laugh when people talk crap about chopped springs.

as for the original question i think coilovers are best as you can adjust them to your hearts content until you have the ride height just how you want it.

graeme

Post by graeme »

mines on coilies as low as it can go with the tyres i have on atm...probably about 70-80mm....it handles like a ryte little beast, bit bouncy and speedbumps are a pain but meh it looks pimp :cool:

sidewalkdave

Post by sidewalkdave »

yeah i think im gonna go with ebay coilovers and fit the lower front strut brace while im there then just play about with the height till im happy are they easy to fit?

RoccoGuy

Post by RoccoGuy »

they are exactly the same to fit as standard shocks mate, so just take note how you take your shocks off and fit the coilovers in the same way. do one shock at a time so if you think you've messed up you can look at the other front/rear (which ever you are on) for reference :good: