Clutch slip

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Clutch slip

Post by Brenjacques »

Hi all

Recently noticed that I'm getting some clutch slipping if I slightly press on the clutch pedal more so when going uphill. Just wondering what the cause is likely to be, I had an oil leak from the gearbox before that saturated the clutch but I had this sorted and a new clutch assembly fitted. There's no oil leak now and the clutch doesn't slip if I'm not on the pedal. At this time the flywheel was skimmed and I wonder if this has something to do with it.

The biting point feels pretty normal and more or less at the centre of the clutch pedal travel but like I say, a slight press of the clutch causes it to slip. May well be normal for these cars-I don't know, but I've recently noticed it and would like to get it rectified if it's something that's going to get worse.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Clutch slip

Post by mark1gls »

Have you got 10mm free play on the pedal?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Brenjacques »

Yes I'm always sure to leave a bit of slack before it actually engages with the mechanism. Once I feel the weight of the mech on the clutch pedal it's probably a couple of more cm down before it starts to slip.

Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Village Idiots »

Don't ride the clutch pedal whilst driving.