Arch Trim replacement

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
skiman

Arch Trim replacement

Post by skiman »

Hi,
as someone new to Scoroccos but very familiar with Golfs(The Old Git on NOrice!),can someone please let me know
how to remove the front arch trims,have undone all the screws but it appears to be stuck to the wing,in which case what is the
best method of removal without doing to much damage,
Thanks Mick
1989 Scala injection bought off Ebay for £170,car had been dry stored for neary 5 years!!

mark1man

Re: Arch Trim replacement

Post by mark1man »

hi mate,

i remember removing my trim from my old gtx 8 years ago,this one was the rear wing drivers side.
i started to cut through the adhesive which i think is called sicaflex or something,using a thin modelling knife,starting at the trim which covers the back of the sill,as i gently cut through the bonding agent at the top,i gently pulled the trim away from the wing and made my way up and over the arch gently cutting as i went.
you will find that residue sicaflex will still be stuck to the wing but you can easily remove it by gently scraping away what is left.

hope this helps. :hugegrin:

skiman

Post by skiman »

Ihnks mate,I guessed that it was going to be a b*******d job,any ideas on the best way to reattach the new one??
I suppose a good double sided tape is the only answer!
Mick

markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Mick, you should get a tube of TIGERSEAL, its an adhesive specifically used for attaching body panels and spoilers. You use it in those cartridge guns, its about £8 a tube, and its brilliant stuff. You will need to hold the trim in place(use masking tape or clamps) while the Tigerseal goes off. You can get it from most car parts shops or on Ebay. :cool:

Oh, and be warned, its nightmare stuff to get off your hands, so wear latex gloves ! :good:

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !