Tech tip : Make your locks fit your key (+ bootlock)

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
81GTi
fill in the right answer: 10

Tech tip : Make your locks fit your key (+ bootlock)

Post by 81GTi »

Ever had to replace the ignition barrel and ended up with two keys? Well, here's how to make your door locks match your key.

First of all remove the door handle from the door (if you need me to tell you how to do this, then you really needn't read on). This is a mk1 handle but the same will apply to a mk2 handle -

Undo the screw in the picture above and carefully remove the lever as there is a spring underneath. Here's the spring in it's correct position - remember this.

Now withdraw the barrel from the handle

You can see the ends of the 7 tumblers sticking out

Withdraw these carefully (there are tiny springs within) and you will notice each one is numbered from 1-4, so making up an individual code for each lock/key - this one is 4-1-4-4-1-3-2

This means that there are effectively only 16384 different combinations for the millions of VWs with the same barrel mechanism....

Anyway, here's a pic of one of the tiny springs in each tumbler chamber

This is a good time to remove all the springs, thoroughly degrease the barrel and relubricate with an appropriate grease.

Now, if you put the tumblers back where they came from and insert the new key you can see that the tumblers stick out. This would mean that the barrel would not turn inside the door handle.

Remove the key and the tumblers. To correctly code the new key it helps if you have lots of spare tumblers from old barrels -

Starting from the end of the barrel, insert a no."1" tumbler into the slot and try the key. If the tumbler sticks out with the key in then try a no."2", "3" or "4" until the tumbler sits flush with the barrel. Repeat this for all seven slots and the result will be this -

Make a note of the new sequence and repeat for the other door lock. Refitting is, of course, the reverse of removal :wink:

OK, the following applies to mk1 boot locks only but I'm pretty sure that mk2 ones must be similar.

As before, remove the boot lock from the tailgate - it's pretty straightforward (honest) but as my car is away I can't take pics.

To remove the barrel you first need to remove the lever

Squeeze the barrel and this will expose the pin that attaches the lever to the barrel. You will notice one end is wider than the other - you must knock through from the narrower end! The pin is (poorly) circled below.

Use a vice (or a friend/sibling who can stand to lose a digit or too) to hold the lock in the appropriate position.

Once the pin is removed you can dismantle the assembly.

The procedure for coding the barrel is the same as for the handles - they even use the same tumblers :)

special thanks to Mr Brown for this thread, I just needed to source and resize the pictures......

**ADDITIONAL INFO ADDED 24/05/2019

The mk2 Scirocco boot lock barrel has a lock pin that must be removed but it can't be knocked through - it must be levered and then pulled out. I used a pair of vise grips but even then I managed to squish the pin. It was barely reusable.

If you have different keys for ignition and locks, ALWAYS try and code the locks to the ignition key. The reason for this is that removing the ignition lock barrel is far more involved than the door handles or boot lock. And once you've removed it you'll find that the tumblers for the ignition lock are larger and not compatible with the door/boot tumblers.

There are two types of keys on mk1 and mk2 Sciroccos, the profile is slightly different. AH keys have two flat grooves running the length of the key whereas HV (earlier type) have one flat groove and one V groove. I found that whereas both types of keys would work in the same door locks, the HV key would not physically fit into an AH boot lock barrel. Worthwhile checking to see what you have before you start.

MrP

Re: Tech tip : Make your locks fit your key (+ bootlock)

Post by MrP »

Absolute legendary!

Did this today on my Mk2.

Thanks very much.

rocco-rider

Post by rocco-rider »

clever
nigel

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

AWESOME!!!!

Now to find some spare barrels and recode my keys... err... locks... err... hmm... :good:

Rocco Horror

Post by Rocco Horror »

Done this on Beetles in the past, it's fiddly, time consuming but really worth it! You may find that the handle itself is worn - they often are on older stuff - so any key can open the lock, but until you get them right like 81GTi showed, it'll never be quite right.
Nice how-to!

mini mayhem

Post by mini mayhem »

Top thread man.

makes me wonder about 'recoding' a toyota lock to fit a vw key.

Nate

Post by Nate »

mini mayhem wrote:makes me wonder about 'recoding' a toyota lock to fit a vw key.
are the keys the same profile?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
mini mayhem

Post by mini mayhem »

nope but i will try and see how i could change the lock barrel to take my vw key.

81GTi

Post by 81GTi »

burger me, this thread proves there's something about messing with your locks and february....

mini mayhem

Post by mini mayhem »

Just did this on some mk2f polo locks and the tumblers were blank or number 4, so it was even easier.

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Must get mine done.... :blush:

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims
Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

Bloody helpful that!! Just sorting mine now, it would appear they had an abundance of 3's when they were building my car...

Have posted in Parts wanted... surprisingly, some #3 tumblers :)

For anyone considering this, do it. The longest part for me was cleaning the bits inside the tumbler as I've nothing i'm 'allowed' to fill with petrol!!

Nate

Post by Nate »

Beddo88 wrote: The longest part for me was cleaning the bits inside the tumbler as I've nothing i'm 'allowed' to fill with petrol!!
just wait until she's at work ;)

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
a57737

Post by a57737 »

I've done this with a mk3 golf and a Corrado with the same tumbler kit. Cost around £40 for 40 of each with new springs from VW.

Fresco3000
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Fresco3000 »

Thanks for this, great tip!

1980 Mk1 Scirocco GLi / 1986 T25 Caravelle / 1989 Mk2 Scirocco GT