Transforming Trinny

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Funky Diver
fill in the right answer: 10

Transforming Trinny

Post by Funky Diver »

So I'm starting at the start. The car itself, as far as I know, is fairly sound, however, it isn't how I want it.

The temptation was to buy another motor that closely resembled what I wanted, but then the reason I want to do it isn't there. ie giving me something to do!! :D

As she stands now(ish) with a coupla cosmetic differences.

So what do I want to do?

General Premise

Complete body strip, back to components. Replace where necessary / possible those items that are easily and cost effectively replaced. I did a LOT of mechanical fixes when I first got the car, including FULL front end rebuild on suspension and steering and uprated brakes (courteousy of D_Reame ;))

Body Work
Soda Stripped and replaired. At this moment there are rust perforations that I know of on the front top of both wings. Behind the number plate carrier on the rear (someone did a bodge job of screwing on an old number plate without sealing the holes... we now have rusty holes.
The rear drivers side corner has had a prang and needs fettling
Dent in passenger door needs knocking back out, but until I get the body kit off I can't be sure of ALL the rusty bits.
Aerial hole - welded up It's starting to rust under neath, so get it cut out and repaired is the best course of action IMHO.

4mm smooth stoneguard on under belly to be applied.
Paint job to match - in black.

Additions to Body Work after full works.
Air intake - lower valance at the front. I just want one, haha.
Beesting Aerial - probably sharks fin style

Engine
Not much really, she runs fine at present so I don't really want to upset the apple cart. If anything it'll be a cosmetic overhaul and some "simple" mods, Power Rohr, etc. And a good tidy up in the engine bay. Get all the wiring nicely covered, etc. Just want it to look a bit more pretty ;) Maywell change the cam belt for the heck of it, and swap out the clutch seeing as it'll be out anyways. New bushes when it goes back in, but then that's really a no brainer :)
In terms of the engine bay, basically seal up and prettify is the way forward from here - such as take the old vacuum tank bracket off, small stuff like that really.

Electrics and Controls
Single wiper - always fancied one :, so it's gonna have to be done.
Fettle the wiring so that it's all pucker and working properly. I have 2 REALLY odd earth leaks that are intermittent at present. Need to get those sorted.
Install Leccy Sunroof - finally have the right bits to do it, so on she goes.
Move battery to the boot - not sure at the mo' but I am looking to install a solar battery keeper on the rear parcel shelf. I know, it's not gonna look UBER sexy, but the practicality of it out weighs the non-sense of a perpetual flat battery.
REMOVE switches wherever I can and "hide" the ones I can't.. This will basically mean removing the Rocco Dash (it's not REALLY a thing of beauty at all for me) and locating switches in a "smarter" manner where possible. For example, Peugeot Indicator stalk solution. It houses, Lights, Fogs front and rear, indicators, wipers, including rear and hazard warning doofer. One piece of equipment removes four switches off the dash.
Central console. I just love 'em, so that's what's gonna be happening. Probably due to my early days with mini driving, 20 years later I still find myself looking towards the centre of hte dash to check my speed.
Air "system" - heater controls are simple for me, heat and foot or windscreen. I HATE air blowing in my face, every car I've ever owned has had the front out blowers closed permanently - the air pipes in my rocco now are in the garage, that's how much I miss them :P Consequently, it makes for changing the dash easy. Foot and windscreen. Job sorted.
Wind and sunroof operations switches. Moved to center consule near gear stick / handbrake.

ICE
This is one area that is generally voodoo magic for me. Always been a case of buy a set of of fthe shelf speakers and head unit and plonked them in.

One the refurb however, as I'm going to be going dynamat type stuff where ever possible - the ICE is getting the same treatment.
The headunit - I KNOW what I want - http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info ... -gps-dvbt/
It's then a case of wiring everything else in, sub, speakers, amp, etc. Rear view camera hooked up, etc etc

Interior
Conmplete revamp required. The Leather on the back seats is good, but the front on both seats is ripped requiring repair. So may as well get the whole lot retrimmed the same. I have black carpet sitting waiting to go in, I have sound proofing ready to be installed. All in all, it's the interior that is getting the most "work" done to it. The old girl deserves it :)

As and when... I'll update with photo's etc of specific jobs, although not necessarily on this thread. If there's stuff that can be added to other parts of the site that'll help, I'll post them up there.
Last edited by Funky Diver on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funky Diver

Re: 89 GT - Project Thread

Post by Funky Diver »

Update...

Have decided to do "stuff" to the engine, to up the power a smidge. Just need to pin down exactly what. Any help on the matter would be appreciated, there's a thread in the Engine sub-forum.

Cpt Custom
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Transforming Trinny

Post by Cpt Custom »

Great looking car with some wicked plans, but those wheels are a funny colour! Are they meant to be like that? :hehe:

Sorry Rich, couldn't resist that!

:beers:

Image 1987 Alpine White Mk2 GT Lily
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Its comeing on looking real good.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Cpt Custom wrote: those wheels are a funny colour!
Nowt wrong with a bit of bling, lol. Anyways, I like my gold wheels ... they're out of hte norm for one :yup:

Stripping down is fun... I was surprised at how quick the interior got ripped out. Not much to it really.

Sure it'll take ten times longer putting it all back in again :hehe:

I should update the thread I suppose... but then it's mostly going on the blog so kinda seemed pointless to an extent.

I promise though I'll do a shortened version of what went on when I'm done... or at periodic points through the build.

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Hmmmmm.... Chevy Orange :vcool:

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Nice what this for m8?

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Engine block... and anything else that needs to be Chevy Orange (contemplating stripping the carbs down and doing those too) :D

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Nice its going to look :vcool: when it is finshed hope you put pics on here when it is finshed and all done and in between of course.

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

I'm cack at updating stuff to be perfectly honest.

I WILL be doing a review of everything once it's done, but I'm going to be happily updating my blog (click my signature image if you're intrigued) but it's most certainly not a standard "Here's my OEM wossit, these are the steps I took to make it fit" as there are already shed loads of those types of threads and articles in the world. What I will be doing on my site though is more indepth stuff on the kinds of things that folks might not necessarily done. Electronics integration, for example.

But yeah... I may put up some of hte glory shots (like finished engine, etc) every now and then.

Nate

Post by Nate »

that's not a leaking filler neck in that pic, is it?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

haha... no, it is just some random stain on the floor.

If it was that bad I doubt I'd have even got it to there!

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Ok i see fair play my friend. :buddy:

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Ooooooh, look what I picked up from being shot blasted and then spilt a bit of VHT onto...

I love the "getting everything ready to slap back on as soon as it's painted" phase, it's kind of a U Turn in proceedings from Destruction to Construction, and a very warm glow sometimes :D

Apologies for the cack photo... iPhone at night is PANTS!

Cpt Custom
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Cpt Custom »

Oooooh ... that's bright! :vcool:

I take it that's Chevy Orange?

:laugh:

Image 1987 Alpine White Mk2 GT Lily