Underseal - should any be here?

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MrP

Underseal - should any be here?

Post by MrP »

Cleaning my bay and there was huge amounts of gunk which I've cleaned off (mostly!), I couldn't decide if it was 25 years of crap or 25 years of faded underseal?

I'm talking about the brace to the front of the engine (that the radiator sits on) and also the lower part of the firewall. Should these parts have underseal on?

Pics to help:

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Underseal - should any be here?

Post by GTXTRA »

always assumed that its it's more of a wax, thicker application of the stuff that dealers (and brm when they did work for me) used to reapply to entire engine bay after the then standard steamcleaning.

i tend to leave it re the firewall/bulkhead area on mine but do clean up the front chassis area as much as possible.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Slugga

Post by Slugga »

Definately a wax as I just steamed a lot off of mine last weekend.

MrP

Post by MrP »

Yeah, thats what I thought. Where can I buy this wax from? Or can i use normal underseal?

cadillacman

Post by cadillacman »

MrP wrote:Yeah, thats what I thought. Where can I buy this wax from? Or can i use normal underseal?
you need wawoyl, and you can buy it at halfords the trick is to warm it up in a bucket of hot water first it will spray and get into all the nocks and crannys better, underseal is ok but can go brittle and then the water just seats underneanth and rots anyway

Nate

Post by Nate »

MrP wrote:Yeah, thats what I thought. Where can I buy this wax from? Or can i use normal underseal?
waxoyl from halfords or decent cavity wax from someone like frosts. by "normal underseal" if you mean the black bitumen stuff that doesn't stick to rust, then no!

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3