Engine identification

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
craigmiller
fill in the right answer: 15

Engine identification

Post by craigmiller »

Hi guys and girls.
I'm Craig from york been on here a while, usually mooching in the background.
I bought my 1985 gtx a few years ago and have had no issues. But.
I would like to do a timing belt replacement which seems simple enough. The issue is whilst chasing an earth lead problem I noticed on the back of the block 2.0 in the casting. Is there anyway to find out what it is so I can get the correct belt kit. I'm guessing the chap I bought it off wasn't aware as he never mentioned it. Cheers in advance. Craig

GT_II

Re: Engine identification

Post by GT_II »

As far as I can see all the 1.6 and 1.8 8V engines on the Mk2 including DX use the same belt and tensioner, so unless a completely different engine has been fitted, the standard Mk2 1.8 8V belt and tensioner should fit.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
craigmiller

Post by craigmiller »

Yeah I guessed that, the bit that's confusing me is the 2.0 cast into the block. Think I'll order a 1.8 one and see how it looks.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

you might find the 2 litre one is wider belt than the 1.6 and 1.8
also depends if its a tall block or not aswell but yeah order a 1.8 belt kit and see

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Blueshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Blueshark »

Engine model and number should be on a flat surface between 3rd and 4th cilinder at the top of the block right under the head gasket.

Saying you got a 2.0 it will be a 9A I think

Joost