New carburettor?

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: New carburettor?

Post by rosie »

Finally got it looked at by my new mechanic yesterday
He says there are no air leaks, and thinks the likeliest problem is the brake servo vacuum pipe. He says that the non-return valve could have developed a fault.
He’s shown me how to replace it, but I can’t find a new one anywhere.
I’ve googled, I’ve looked in VW Heritage, I’ve been to the main dealer.
The parts number is 534-611-931. It was discontinued in 2007.

Anyone know of where I might be able to find one?
Is it worth getting trying for a secondhand eBay one from someone breaking up an old Rocco, or is that likely to be no good?
Is there a bodge I could do with a different part?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
rosie

Post by rosie »

IMG_4280 small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
rosie

Post by rosie »

Vw heritage has this. I wonder if it can be adapted. It looks similar but what do I know!?

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ ... drive.html

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT_II »

Have a look at 191611933E - there are several online suppliers. It's a Golf Mk2 part apparently, but if the connection nozzles are the same, you might be in luck.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
rosie

Post by rosie »

Thanks. So I was looking at that yesterday but it’s just the valve. I asked the mechanic and he said that I have to replace the whole part with the attached hose, but I did wonder whether that was strictly necessary.
Presumably this relies on the current hose being in good shape, and then I just cut the hose to remove the old valve and stick the new one in?

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I'm guessing VW supplied the valve as a complete assembly as the tube and valve may be difficult or impossible to separate without damage - hence many different variants for different models, engines, and configurations, depending on the length and shape of tube needed. I'm thinking the tube might be moulded and heat-shrunk in the factory to the nozzles at either end.

If so, you might well have to find a reinforced hose of a suitable diameter to bridge between the valve and tube, or as you suggest, a used assembly from a Scirocco being broken. Alternatively, if the part listed by Heritage you mention happens to be approximately the right shape and length, you might be able to use that.

rosie

Post by rosie »

I’ve messaged a couple of breakers on eBay, on the basis that even if what they can supply is not in good shape it will allow me to have a good look at the part and see whether it can be cut or adapted. I don’t want to start messing around with the existing hoses in my car and potentially doing irreparable damage without a replacement part being available.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
rosie

Post by rosie »

Presumably the hose is reinforced so that it maintains its shape in a vacuum? So it needs to be a specific type of hose.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

A very short piece of more flexible hose to bridge from the valve nozzle to the old plastic hose might be another option.