Replacing coolant flanges

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Replacing coolant flanges

Post by james butler »

good shout putting the part numbers up rosie :ok:
i put hylomar on the mounting surface of the head before bolting up flanges as they are prone to leaking when heat cylcling
this is especially noticeable on the thermostat housing
hopefully you wont have any issues now though :vcool:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
rosie

Post by rosie »

Thanks. I’ve done 20 miles or so in it and no leaks from the flanges or sensors now so hopefully they’re watertight.
However the thin hose from the expansion tank to the top of the radiator has now sprung a leak. I’ve just ordered a new one. Is it possible to swap this without draining the system? I’m getting through a LOT of coolant!

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT_II »

Draining down the coolant would be an overkill, but you will get a minor spillage. Disconnect at the expansion tank end first, tie it up to the bonnet while still connected to the radiator. Connect the new hose to the expansion tank, then quickly swap over the hoses at the radiator end. Then run the engine with the heater on to bleed the system as normal.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yes no need to drain the coolant for the thin expansion tank feeder hose.

Just go carefully with the plastic pipe on the radiator and try pull the hose off straight as I’ve snapped one off before and had to buy a new radiator…

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT_II »

mark1gls wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:54 pm pull the hose off straight as I’ve snapped one off before and had to buy a new radiator…
Good point, also before you pull, gently twist the hose to and fro over the nozzle with a pair of pliers to release its adhesion to the nozzle. Once you've done this, It's often easier to carefully push the hose off the nozzle than to pull it, as pulling the hose will tend to stretch and narrow it. Experience gained from years of removing hoses from plastic nozzles within washing machines, dishwashers, etc, but I'm guessing just as relevant to cars.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
rosie

Post by rosie »

Thank you!
MoT this afternoon, so will wait until afterwards just in case something snaps.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
james butler

Post by james butler »

GT_II wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:08 pm
mark1gls wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:54 pm pull the hose off straight as I’ve snapped one off before and had to buy a new radiator…
Good point, also before you pull, gently twist the hose to and fro over the nozzle with a pair of pliers to release its adhesion to the nozzle. Once you've done this, It's often easier to carefully push the hose off the nozzle than to pull it, as pulling the hose will tend to stretch and narrow it. Experience gained from years of removing hoses from plastic nozzles within washing machines, dishwashers, etc, but I'm guessing just as relevant to cars.
this is why i tend to slit the old pipe with a knife and spread it open so as to put as little pressure on the rad nipple as possible

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!