Steering UJ shaft

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
msh209
fill in the right answer: 15

Steering UJ shaft

Post by msh209 »

Hi all,
Advice needed please :-)

I need to get a new universal joint connecting shaft. The thingy that connects the steering column to steering rack with UJ’s at each end. Sorry I don’t know it’s proper name. Apparently it’s VW part number 531419951B and if anyone could confirm that’s the right part number for a mk2 without power steering that would be great.

The mot chap said I’d need to replace the steering column bearings and the U-joint at the end to get through next time.

Is this part serviceable ? can the joints at each end of the shaft be detached and other ‘generic’universal joints be put on the end as a cheaper fix. (Wishful thinking)

I’ve noticed this part is very expensive, can anyone recommend a place to buy it at a sensible price please?

Also, Maybe this is useful information so I’ll pass it on. I found a cheapish price for a steering column rebuild kit. It worked out at about £72 for all the bearing, bushy & plastic bits needed. This from an American company called “Mk1Engineering” with free shipping. The golf mk1 parts are exactly the same as for my 1992 scirocco without power steering. At least I hope they are :-D

Thanks in advance
Mike

GT_II

Re: Steering UJ shaft

Post by GT_II »

I am pretty sure the part number you need for RHD Scirocco is 532419951B, as far as I know no longer available new (the number you quoted is for LHD I think). The way to go would likely be to find one second hand.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
p in phcas
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by p in phcas »

Would they be a Mk1 Golf or Caddy / Cab part as well?

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
msh209

Post by msh209 »

Thanks for the reply’s

It’s a shame this part is hard to find and so ridiculously expensive.

I’m wondering if I can get an engineer to replicate it or bastardise it maybe by removing the UJ’s from each end and simply replacing those to knock something up that works. But I haven’t had it in my hand to actually see if it’s special and there might be a reason that’s not possible.

I was hoping to have the part to hand before I take the steering column out but que-sera. You can get one for a mk1 golf for 20-40 quid so supply and demand I guess.

Thanks for pointing out the correct part number. I’ll look again and also for a second hand one.

Can I just ask a side question, are most people running on unleaded or super unleaded? I’ve heard that the ethanol isn’t good for older cars. I’ve been using the super and just started putting some additive in too. What do you run on ?

Thanks again for your help.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

The same steering column universal joint was used on all RHD versions of Golf Mk1, Scirocco Mk1 and Scirocco Mk2.

According to VW, all VWs should be safe on E10 fuel, but that assumes all fuel system parts are genuine VW throughout, and that the car is in regular use. To play safe, I use E5 fuel. Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 is currently ethanol free in a large part of England, but Esso now state that from September 2023 this will no longer be the case.

msh209

Post by msh209 »

Great to know thank you

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If you can use super unleaded petrol if your car is fuel injection they run better on a higher octane fuel.

Super unleaded and normal unleaded petrol has had ethanol added (E5 so 5% ethanol) for many years, it’s just they have doubled the amount of ethanol in normal unleaded so it’s now E10, 10% ethanol so I would try and avoid normal unleaded if at all possible.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Good point, the 1.8 carb engine was designed for 98 RON fuel also, though I have a feeling dealers were required from a certain date by the UK government to retard the ignition to make the car compatible with unleaded fuel which at the time was only available in the UK as 95 RON "Premium".

So that's another reason to stick with E5, to enable the ignition to be set to enable the engine to provide the level of performance and fuel efficiency for which it was designed.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yes that’s right, to use normal 95 RON now E10 unleaded fuel the timing needs to regarded by 6 degrees.

A few years ago I did try normal 95 RON unleaded fuel in my Mk1 Golf GTi (DX engine) and retarded the timing for about a year and I found the engine a little flat to drive and I could not get a steady idle, I also found I would use more petrol as probably pressing the loud pedal a bit harder.
I’ve now switched back to 98 RON super unleaded and advanced the timing back to how it left the factory.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323