fueling issue need help

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
wakar123
fill in the right answer: 15

fueling issue need help

Post by wakar123 »

hi all

im new to the club.

i have 1983 1.6 (FR engine) GL with a 2b5 carb.

is there anyone local to slough that know about the carbs as i have a issue with fueling as it jerking/jumpy and not will accelerate smoothly.

i have replace fuel filter and checked feul lines, carb flange and going replace vac lines and also check fuel tank which nice and clean in side (silver inside).

i think it must be the carb, it there ant that could help im near slough.

WreckTangle

Re: fueling issue need help

Post by WreckTangle »

My experience is more with the later 2e2 carb, but some of the same principles will apply.

Have you checked the state of your fuel filler neck? These deteriorate and allow rust into the fuel tank irrespective of the condition of the actual tank. In severe cases they can develop holes which then allow water and other contaminants into the fuel.

It can be very hard to see holes in the carb flange. A visual inspection without any dismantling is unlikely to be conclusive. A recognised test is to try to wiggle the carb while the car is idling. If idle varies then there is probably an air leak in the flange.

It is worth eliminating other obvious causes before tackling the actual carburettor. As a relative novice, I rebuilt and set-up a 2e2 during the Covid lockdowns. Generic tips from my experience are:
  • Get a copy of Haynes Solex and Pierburg Carburettors Repair and Service Manual
  • Find an online PDF copy of the original service sheet, ideally in your first language
  • Buy an identical unit on eBay (or similar) for a test run and spares
  • Some of the screws will be seized. Judicious use of an impact driver is less likely to mangle the heads than brute force
Good luck getting it sorted out.

Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Village Idiots »

Read through Brenjacques' post above yours.

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

If it's had a new fuel neck, or running on the original filler neck (unlikely) then check the hard copper fuel lines that run under the drivers side of the car. They will likely be clogged with rust.

If there are tiny black particles in your fuel filter this is the problem.

Had the same issue with my 1.6 1983 GL... you'll have a Pierburg 2B5 carb if it's still the original.

You can get new Mk1 Golf fuel lines from Classic VW website.

Blow through the jets to clear them.

Good luck with it. The 83 GL's are super rare now...

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

Tank and filler neck - get em swapped and save some time!