Possible fuel starvation issues with the GTS

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Possible fuel starvation issues with the GTS

Post by Brenjacques »

They've certainly done a good job of your carb there, those pictures really whet my appetite into following this route. In fact, I've never heard a bad thing said about Bromyard so they're obviously doing something right.

Just doing a little more work on the air box as I type this. I thought I'd double check the operation of the warm air flap. This didn't work when I bought the car and a couple of years back I stripped it down and freed the flap hinge which had seized up, that returned it to working operation.

This time I could feel the resistance against the flap free off but the flap wouldn't raise. I removed it to find that the metal linkage has snapped from corrosion. I'm going to spend the afternoon raiding my spares to see if I can find some metal rod of the same diameter to make a new one up with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Little update re. carb. I got in touch with webcon about the pump jet leak, they advised I send it back to them for investigation which I did. A few days later I received a message stating that the carburettor was indeed faulty and a brand new replacement will be sent out. Pretty pleased with the service from them, hopefully the new weber carb performs faultlessly. Must admit it looks like I've been very unfortunate with this one, I did a lot of searching online and found no other posts or write ups online of people experiencing the same problems with their DMTL's.

Hopefully I can get it all back together (again) this weekend and return it to daily duties. The tank will have to wait until after Christmas now but I'll see how it performs in the meantime, I haven't really got a choice but to use it over the festive period though it won't be travelling far.

Still need to sort out one of those warm air deflectors too, if anybody comes across one anywhere give me a shout!

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

That’s good news and hopefully the problem will be solved.
Webcon are very helpful as when I was trying to find spares for my Webber DMTR (slightly different carb for a 1978 Mk1) they were great.

Fingers crossed for you :-)

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

:crying:

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Yeah I can't fault them at all, they've been a real good help. I'm glad the carb was playing up with them too, I was half expecting them to say it's all fine and the issue must be elsewhere. I'll be refitting the new one tomorrow so hopefully no more rough starts and leaky carb.

Sorry to dissapoint you RussGLAuto, but the Pierburg idea hasn't been canned completely. If I'm still unhappy with the Weber then it'll be restored and reunited with the car. Once the car is retired from daily duties in the next year or two then the pierburg will be going back on anyway as it's my intention to eventually put everything back to factory.

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Likewise, fingers crossed for you... keep us updated.

Have a great Christmas in the meantime!!

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Thanks mate, hope you have a great Christmas too!

I got the carb fitted on Saturday and tuned it up, it's been absolutely faultless since. I've done a few trips out in it, Christmas shopping and currently day two of commuting again and it's been fine. Starts first turn of the key now, no rough starting or poor hot starts which is something that's always bothered me with it. There's definitely less/no oil coming up the breather so far too so hopefully fewer carb blockages in the future.

I'll be getting the fuel tank checked out in the new year but fingers crossed the previous running issues have been to do with the old carb.