Pooling water under scuttle tray

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
craigwalton
fill in the right answer: 15

Pooling water under scuttle tray

Post by craigwalton »

There is often about 5mm (deepest area) of water pooled under the plastic scuttle/rain tray on my Mk2 Scirocco. It's mostly concentrated in the centre around the heater blower motor. The outboard drainage holes are clear of debris so water should flow freely. However, even once the water drains freely out of them, there is still a good puddle in the centre.

The rain tray itself doesn't have cracks, but it looks like the water can drain off of it and end up in the "puddle" rather than going out through the drain holes. The car is parked on a driveway which is pretty level.

Previously I've had issues with wet footwells, so this might have been the source. I went mad with the black silicone last year around the fresh air intake/blower motor to try and prevent it leaking into the passenger compartment. So maybe this is why I'm now noticing the puddle.

Drainage holes:

Is this common? Are there meant to be any other drain holes? It almost looks like there should be one here, next to the ignition coil.

Cheers

GT_II

Re: Pooling water under scuttle tray

Post by GT_II »

I love these types of question as it gives me an excuse to escape to the garage for a few minutes and lift the bonnet! Like yours' mine is black, so not so easy to examine in detail. However, I am certain the only drain outlets are either end over the wheel arches, which you have cleared. Given the base of the chamber is quite bumpy , a small depth of water would be normal after rain. The u-shaped flange you see in the region of the ignition coil looks to be part of the bulkhead reinforcement for the brake servo mounting bracket.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by essextom »

its quite normal. as long as it is sealed it should be ok, or park on a slope!

craigwalton

Post by craigwalton »

Thanks a lot guys, good to hear there’s nothing wrong.

I think this area didn’t use to be sealed that well which is maybe why I didn’t use to find a puddle.

Reinforcement flange would make sense. Thinking about it, you probably wouldn’t want a drainage hole from under the scuttle tray into the engine bay or else you’d end up with fumes in the passenger compartment.