1991 1.8 GT2 Exhaust

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
WreckTangle
fill in the right answer: 15

1991 1.8 GT2 Exhaust

Post by WreckTangle »

The recent MOT on my 1991 GT2 had an advisory on the rear silencer being rusty. And I think an advisory was fairly generous as the outer layer of metal is now coming loose.

I know the correct part number is 533 253 609 AL. However, this seems to be unobtainable and no longer available.

I decided to go with a Vegaz VS-103 from an online vendor which seemed to be the right part. It is listed as being equivalent to:

533 253 609 AL
533 253 609 AC
533 253 609 AM
533 253 609 Q

What has actually arrived is a NOS Leistritz part which quotes OEM numbers 533 253 609 Q/AM only.

Now I think this should be fine for a 1.8 EX engine. However, the OEM numbers suggest is was intended for earlier (pre 1985) cars. I’ve held it up against the existing exhaust and it looks identical. However, without putting the car on ramps I cannot see the join on the front of the silencer. The new part has an ID of 45mm and protrudes about 58mm on the connecting pipe. Is this likely to be compatible with my middle pipe? Any other potential issues to check for?

The vendor did ask for my VIN when I ordered and confirmed this part is correct.

Thanks for any input.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1991 1.8 GT2 Exhaust

Post by mark1gls »

Check the length of the tail pipe as pre 1985 did not have the body kit fitted, later cars exhausts had a longer tail pipe so it sticks out from the body kit.
That’s the only difference I can think of and I guess the other end size should be fine, check where the hangers are as they did move on different exhaust.

Good luck separating the back box from the middle pipe, old screwdrivers hammered in the flange to try and open it up and plenty of twisting to pull the back box off. My least favourite job is playing with exhaust pipe with a car on axle stands and jack and wear some safety glasses to keep the bits out of your eyes…

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

I attempted the replacement of the rear silencer this afternoon. It did not go well. I was unable to separate the rear section from the middle part. I had to cut the bolt through the clamp as despite plenty of wire-brushing, heating, oiling and using an impact wrench it was rusted solid. That kind of set the scene for trying to separate the two pipes. Despite heating the join until it glowed red hot and prising with screwdrivers I could not get it to budge at all. Worse still, the prising caused a couple of small holes to develop in the middle pipe near the join. Whilst it might be possible to bodge these with filler I am now minded to replace the middle pipe as well since the rust has started on it too.

Interestingly, I think the exhaust might be original. The rear silencer is marked TYP-NR 533 119 C and proudly states Made in West Germany. The middle section is stamped TYP-NR 531 119 D and has had the “West” ground off. The car is a 1991 model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I hope you have better luck with the middle section. I have just cut the middle section clamp off mine as I need to get access for a planned rear brake, rear suspension and fuel tank overhaul. The front exhaust section is much heavier gauge steel, so I am hoping I can persuade the middle section off without damage. Working under the middle of the car on stands is not great, so I've not set myself a deadline to achieve that.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

I had some issues trying to access a part directly under the middle of one of my other classics. In the end what worked was jacking the front (left) corner higher than usual and putting a couple of axle stands in appropriate locations for safety. I normally prefer to use ramps, but in that instance I just couldn't achieve the clearance needed using ramps at one end.

As far as I can make out the part I need for the middle exhaust section is 533253209G. Non-OEM equivalents to 533253209F seem to be available and the only part which I can find that claims to be equivalent to 533253209G also says it is equivalent to 533253209F. Does anyone know how similar these parts are?

I'm wondering about whether I could maybe fit a small repair section. The middle pipe looks in OK condition bar these couple of small holes where there was sufficient rust in the lap joint for my (gently) prising the joint apart with a screwdriver to put a couple of small holes in it. Presumably I'd need 1.75 inch pipe. This could kill two birds with one stone as I could then cut the rusted joint out rather than separate it.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

533253303C looks interesting, designed for retro-fitting of a catalyst. Do you think this might provide a repair section?

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.co ... 533253303C

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k