Starts, immediately dies - Resolved (Hopefully)

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
K15NWP
fill in the right answer: 15

Starts, immediately dies - Resolved (Hopefully)

Post by K15NWP »

I have got my Scala (DX k-jet), all standard at fewer than 87,000 miles, out of its dry storage a couple of weeks ago in the hope of making it to the national meet.

Alas, one for 2024 :|

I have been in the habit, laid up mid 2018, of starting the car, letting it idle and come up to temperature and having a little drive around the yard; probably twice a year.

In 2020 I had to replace the expensive fuel pump relay as the car would not start and there was no fuel pump sound from the offside. Since then, starts on the button, runs well. That’s the only snafu I’ve ever had in 15 years of ownership.

The other week, transport arranged for a swap with another car to my hobbies workshop to join a few cars up there and hopefully a season of running around in the Scala.

Get to the point!

Ah, yes, car turns, fires in no time at all, runs for 1 or 2 seconds then stops, leaving the fuel pump whirring for a moment.
Turn the key, fires up, stops again.
I’ve swapped out the fuel filter, enormous pressure of fuel the engine side of that, no luck.
I’ve sucked out 12l of fuel (from filler as I couldn’t prise the lift pump cover and it’s only turn a fraction with an ‘ammer and driver/blunt chisel).
That left 1/3 of a tank which was topped off with 12l of ESSO Supreme (which all my older motors enjoy as 0% ethanol).

Still the same, starts on the button, dies after 1/2s.

Unplugged the blue connector ?5th injector. Wouldn’t start at all.

At a bit of a stump now. I’ve read the pinned thread on the k-jet, cannot claim to be any the wiser, and will look at the warm up regulator filter next (couldn’t find one on the fuel distribution unit).

The fuel distribution unit doesn’t have any real pressure of fuel when I loosen the top fittings after the engine has ‘stalled’. Lots at the filter.

Tried running with the relay under the fuel pump turned sideways so the pump was running continuously; again nothing.

Took the air pipe and the car runs fine on easy start 🤣, that’s a bit too expensive!

Anyone any pointers for this dingbat in Wiltshire?

Thank you in advance

Griff
Last edited by K15NWP on Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Daily 2023 Volvo S60 T8 Ultimate
Others like Yugo Cabriolet, Land Rover Series 1 & 3, Lotus 7 and more.
Membership No.1766
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Starts, immediately dies

Post by mark1gls »

Sound like the plunger/needle in the metering head is stuck fast, they get gummed up if left for some time.
Remove the rubber boot on top of the metering head and if you lift the flap up you should feel some resistance but not to much.

Some info here and plenty online as it’s a common problem for cars which don’t get much use. You may find more info out there for Mk1 Golfs as they had the same fuel injection system.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... ntitled_47

Great old video explains how it all works, about 6 1/2 mins for the plugger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4fJAfXYxWk

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
K15NWP

Post by K15NWP »

Thank you ever so much from here in Wiltshire - when I’m up in the barn this weekend, first task!

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766
K15NWP

Post by K15NWP »

Popped up to my barn for a few hours Saturday morning, instead of the M5 to RAF Cosford :-(

Popped the rubber boot off, limited down movement, reasonable upwards movement with a magnet, but still suspect control plunger, and it could likely do with a clean,
IMG_5997.jpg
Labelled-up and ready to drop the last few unions to remove complex from the engine bay.
IMG_6008.jpg
Underneath looks OK, not much in the way of fuel varnish
IMG_6012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766
K15NWP

Post by K15NWP »

So soaked the 2 bolts for removal next Saturday
IMG_6017.jpg
and better get around to cleaning the car one day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Fingers crossed you get the bolts undone.

FYI don’t go pushing down the flap on the metering as you can damage things only pull it up.

Membership No. 323
K15NWP

Post by K15NWP »

Thank you! I would have been pushing down having little sense and not reading the Bentley manual properly

Comment meant, not sarcastic at all, as I had been pushing (lightly) down as well as lifting with a magnet and fingertips.

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766
K15NWP

Post by K15NWP »

Anyone know the Warm Up Regulator part number where Fuel Distributor is 0438 100 150 ?

Thank you in advance

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766
EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

don't know the Scirocco fuel injection system, as mine has a carb. However I did have a Saab 900 turbo with Bosch fuel injection. That had a problem where it would start, run for three seconds then stop. It was the thermo time switch.

K15NWP

Post by K15NWP »

Thermo time switch - hmm - shall Google

Is that the 5th injector in Scirocco speak? Or Warm up regulator?

The plunger needle and rest of the metering body were as free as a bird and clean too - no varnish or anything untoward.

So I’m back to the head scratching stage now

Where shall I look next?
I took the power off the ‘5th injector’ wouldn’t start at all. Still just starting, run for 1 or 2 seconds and then cuts; as you describe with the SAAB - going to be a similar system, as these seem to be in use across many marques.

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

It sound like it’s only running on the 5th injector as that provides fuel for a few seconds.
You may need to remove at least 1 fuel injector to see if there’s fuel coming out of it, to do this once the injector is out place it in a jar, do the fuel pump relay trick so the pump runs with the ignition on then with the rubber boot removed on the metering head lift the flap up by hand and fuel should spray out of the injector.
If you have all 4 injectors out you can check they all spray the same amount of fuel.

The thermo time switch controls the 5th injector so if that’s working the switch is good. The switch sensors the coolant temperature and if it’s hot no extra fuel is added when starting the car, cold coolant and fuel in sprayed into the inlet manifold.

Membership No. 323
EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

my old SAAB was the same system. It would start, run perfect for exactly 3 seconds then stop, you could do that all day.
What year is your car ?
you can bypass the thermo time switch to test it but different years have different diagrams. I could look for you if you feel confident to try it.

K15NWP

Post by K15NWP »

The Scalia was registered in ‘92, so I guess, looking around components, it was a late ‘90 build. I’m not sure I’d know where to check for sure, but there are many components with a 1990 build stamp on them.
It’s a straight original car.

Thank you in advance

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

The 10th digit of the VIN number gives you the model year (running from around September of the previous year to July of that year). L is 1990 model year, M is 1991 model year. I have a feeling 1990 was the last model year for the Scala model and the DX engine, but I may be wrong.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
K15NWP

Post by K15NWP »

Super, thank you. When I’m up in the barn at the weekend, I’ll check.
Blinking handbook and paperwork are up with it, but will hook out the V5 (I so enjoy looking for ‘lost’ V5s).

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766