RHD ROCCO offside steering gaiter

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Nuckleduster
fill in the right answer: 15

RHD ROCCO offside steering gaiter

Post by Nuckleduster »

Hi All,
Haven`t been around for a while--got Covid b4 it became popular--pre March lockdown and have been fighting Long Covid since then.
After having Rocco`s for over 20+ years, I thought I had solved all problems. BUT inspecting my wife`s 89 Scala before MOT, I found the gaiter on the offside absolutely knackered.
Set about changing it--got old one off but cant get new one to slip over the Rack end Tried it dry and also greased--both dismal failures-or is it me?
--any words of wisdom would be helpfull as today I have taught my neighbours some new and very rude words trying to get the thing on. (mostly beginning with the letter F)
I had 2 gaiters in "stock", one had been got at by the mouse that my topcat had sorted out and the other one seemed the same size as the one I pulled off.
I`ve sent off for a new pair from B&B Components as there seems to be a difference in the size between N/S and O/S gaiters.
Best wishes
Gerry
PS have been going through my Rocco spares and I may have a few things surplus to requirements--Indicators,speedos etc inc a DX block

91 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj rolling shell gone but not forgotten
90 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj Colour Dark Metalic Green daily ride
Vw MK4 Golf Estate @180bhp Daily working car--Silver
94 Corrado 2.9 VR6 Metalic purple--gone to Manchester--
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: RHD ROCCO offside steering gaiter

Post by mark1gls »

It might be to late for the answer but the track rod end needs to come off to fit the new boot, just loosen the locking nut a little and try not to move it to much so when you remove the track rod end you can wind in back on it the same place but probably worth getting the tracking check just in case.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323