Suspension/steering issue

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Ows1.8t
fill in the right answer: 15

Suspension/steering issue

Post by Ows1.8t »

Evening everybody, having a major issue with my mk2 at the moment, iv done alot of front end work, iv converted to mk2 golf front suspension, so ive changed the following

Track rod ends
Mk2 front coilovers (with scirocco top mounts)
Mk2 hubs
Mk2 ball joints
Mk2 hub carriers
Mk2 g60 calipers

Iv had a friend who is a mechanic set the tracking, and 1 degree of camber

But the problem iv having is the car seems to wonder all over the road sometimes quite violently,

Can anybod shed some light on what might be causing this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GT_II

Re: Suspension/steering issue

Post by GT_II »

Has anyone else tried that?

I'm guessing the MK2 hub carriers might have a different geometry. If so swapping them over could affect king pin inclination, caster angle, scrub angle, toe-out on turns, etc, which could all affect driveability. Have you compared the dimensions of the Mk1 and Mk2 hub carriers side by side?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Ows1.8t

Post by Ows1.8t »

To be honest i dint measure that, i know a few people have done the conversion, and i work in a motor factors so got the parts cheep and easy lol. Is their any key measurements i could do to check,

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

It's probably not as radically different as I first thought because at least the retained MK1 wishbone should preserve the location of the ball joint relative to the top mounts, so I think that means there should be no change in the king pin inclination or castor angle. I'm guessing what might change to some extent is position of the hub centre relative to the lower ball joint.

If the new hub offsets the wheels left or right, that would change the scrub radius. In particular, if the wheels end up further apart, that would increase the scrub radius, possibly from negative to positive, making the steering more susceptible to wander due to uneven surfaces or unbalanced brakes. VW made a big thing in the 1970s of their "self-stabilising steering with negative roll radius" which I think was a reference to negative scrub radius.

The other thing that might change is the toe-out of turns, if the position of the track rod ends relative to the ball joint changes. I guess this could affect tyre wear but I wouldn't expect it to affect stability.
Last edited by GT_II on Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ows1.8t

Post by Ows1.8t »

Ok sound like alot of sense , this scrub angle, is their a way i can measure, alter this? Im considering striping all the steering off, and starting angain, duble check all the measurements, is their anywhere that has like all the stock measurements for the suspension/steering geomarry

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Maybe someone on else here has better insight than me from their own experience? I'd probably eyeball for any obvious difference in the offset between hub and ball joint first and maybe take some measurements before stripping it all down again.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Sorry if I sound stupid but what’s the benefit of using Mk2 Golf stuff?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Ows1.8t

Post by Ows1.8t »

Iv used the mk2 stuff so i can bolt larger calipers directly to the hub without adaptors( i personally dont like the idea of adaptors) biger bearings, steering arms ar brought down level instead of pointing upwards when lowered, and just to be diffrent haha

I will do a little drawing tonights and measure everything, see if anything stands out to you

whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

You could of kept the original setup and upgraded the discs to 256 using different calliper carriers to upgrade the brakes from the standard 239mm to 256mm. These would be a straight bolt on

The Audi's with the correct callipers should be
Audi 80 quattro 1983-85
Audi 90 5-cylinder 1985-87
Audi coupe 5-cylinder 1985-88.
Check with someone else on here to make sure im not talking nonsense.

Or if you have any friends that travel to the States get them to go to a car parts autospares and order for you caliper bracket 14-1610

https://www.cardone.com/search.php?sear ... =relevance

Only cost me a few quid the last time i bought a set but that was a long time ago. I had a friend that travelled to the states for work quite often and he got them for me. Normally the audi calipers are quite expensive and not easily available..