Clutch replacement

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Clutch replacement

Post by Brenjacques »

Hi all

A new clutch is on the cards for the scirocco. I actually had the current one fitted at the beginning of 2020, it's done about 8000 miles since then. Last time the gearbox leaked oil all over it from the pushrod seal but the replacement valeo clutch has never been that great, for example it's always slipped somewhat if you floor it off the line and on a recent trip down the M1 it started slipping when accelerating to overtake so I think it's time to get it sorted before it gets worse. I'm looking at the idea of doing this one myself, haven't done one before so any hints and tips will be appreciated.

When this one was fitted the mechanic who did it had the flywheel skimmed as there were a few light surface craze/shallow cracks. Is it worth changing the flywheel this time around and does anybody know if they're still manufactured and where I can source one?

It'll be interesting to see if the gearbox has leaked again or if the crank seal has started leaking, I suspect it somewhat as it's strange it suddenly started to go on a single road trip but no signs before, other than the slipping before mentioned. No oil from the bellhousing though so I won't know until I get in there to look.

I'm planning on just buying everything including seals in the event that they're needed and giving myself a full weekend to do it just in case I get stuck on something :hugegrin:

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Clutch replacement

Post by mark1gls »

LUK or Sachs clutch kits are the best ones to get.
Check for play on the brass bush underneath the pushrod seal and change the bush if needed. I cut a thread in the bush and used a big washer, nut and bolt to pull the old bush out.
Pictures here

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... t-seal-how

Change the others seals as well while the gearbox is off the car.

You can see the brass bush here in this kit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112445735476 ... BM5I6vrtFh

Lots of info here on seals and other gearbox info.
http://www.brokevw.com/020seal.html

Don’t forget to use a clutch alignment tool before bolting it all up.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ ... g-16v.html

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

And use the right 12 point tool to undo the drive shafts, I can’t remember the size but can check if needed?

Shop around as you may find some cheaper?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255128446699 ... BMlt7brtFh

Membership No. 323
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Thanks for that, I've been watching a few YouTube videos just to give an idea and it looks quite simple really. Seals are definitely going to be replaced as the drive flange ones are a bit leaky so I'll just order the lot and change them all. Just the flywheel to source now, I'm struggling to find a UK stockist bit I'm still searching about. Does anyone know the part number for the 1.8 8v (210mm) flywheel? Might have some better luck if I search it up that way instead.

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

Brenjacques wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:07 am Thanks for that, I've been watching a few YouTube videos just to give an idea and it looks quite simple really. Seals are definitely going to be replaced as the drive flange ones are a bit leaky so I'll just order the lot and change them all. Just the flywheel to source now, I'm struggling to find a UK stockist bit I'm still searching about. Does anyone know the part number for the 1.8 8v (210mm) flywheel? Might have some better luck if I search it up that way instead.
027 141 025F

Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Cheers, I think I'll post a wanted on here first for a good one even if used, I'm sure use but good will be better than the one currently on it. If not then a brand new one will probably have to be ordered from overseas but they don't seem to be very expensive.

Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Been a while but I'm finally swapping the slippy clutch next week. I've sent some time sourcing parts and I've managed to get a good flywheel, clutch kit, and lots of other bits and pieces for when the gearbox is off. Whilst I'm there I'm going to change the two mounts, the rear engine mount and the upper one at the end of the gearbox, nether of which are in very good shape.

Does anybody have any tips on getting the old bushing out from the gearbox-side engine mount? Was thinking of a suitable sized socket/tubing and vice arrangement to press the old out and the new one in.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Hacksaw blade and carefully cut the case of the mount but it’s not easy so your idea may be better.

Last time I took the mount to a local garage and got them to press old one out and new one in for some beer money :-D

Membership No. 323
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

I vaguely remember changing similar bushes on the rear axle of my first car I had with my uncle, I'm sure we used a hacksaw too, shame he isn't around for me to nag him about it nowadays. I've already considered the garage option, if I get stuck there's a few only streets away so that'll be my plan B :-D