Another FUBAR'D clutch cable

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MK21800
fill in the right answer: 10

Another FUBAR'D clutch cable

Post by MK21800 »

I replaced the cable about 1000-2000 miles ago, this time making sure all the grommets were in place, and the cable was nicely routed after the last one frayed really badly by the bulkhead (previous owner had not put it in correctly). I seated the bulkhead grommet correctly (I have a bulkhead reinforcement plate), and put the tubular grommet in the clutch lever. Everything seemed fine.

Today, I got that "There's too much play in the clutch pedal" feeling again, and the car was hard to put in to gear. Oh guess what, the clutch cable has buggered up again.

Pic attached. This time, it appears to have gone wrong on the section leading up to the clutch pedal. Notice the white plastic inner tube has split and the cable has frayed.

Do any of you lot have a solution to this constant failure of these cables? I notice a lot of you have the same problem.

Also, anyone got the correct part number for 1991 1800 injection Scala DX engine clutch cable handy just for the record? Just to double check, because it looks like Ebay time again. Hopefully the next one will last more than 0.00000003 milliseconds before it starts fraying......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DannyH

Re: Another FUBAR'D clutch cable

Post by DannyH »

Plate or no plate sounds like a dodgy bulkhead?

Danny
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

How old is the clutch? An old clutch will not be helping things as they go stiff over time.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

DannyH wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:33 pm Plate or no plate sounds like a dodgy bulkhead?
I did check the last time and the cable wasn't actually rubbing against the bulkhead at all. The grommet was doing its job nicely.
mark1gls wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:28 pm How old is the clutch? An old clutch will not be helping things as they go stiff over time.
It's at least 40000 miles old. Though I must admit, when I first put the cables on, it feels pretty buttery smooth with a strong bite.

I say "At least 40000" because she's on 115000 now,and I bought her on 75000 (I think). Most probably it's a lot older.....I'm not sure it came with that much service history although I'm gonna go check and get back to you on that.

I have been using 1660mm cables - am about to order another one. My research tells me the 1490mm (?) one is slightly too short.....is this right?

And this time I'm gonna try and do the "pouring 3 in one oil down it" trick before I fit it.

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

https://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7299

There is a south African mk1 clutch kit for the Mark 1 golf something like the one above. A guy called Mark from South Africa was selling them on this site a good few years back. One or two members might have bought and fitted them. Check out the link. From feedback i heard they were generally a bit fiddly to put but did solve the bulkhead problem and improved clutch performance.