Driver's Door Quarterlight

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hiltow

Driver's Door Quarterlight

Post by hiltow »

The upper portion (above the rubbing strip) of my Mk2 driver's door has a scratch on it that needs repair involving repainting and blending the metallic into the rest of the section of the door.

To do this, the outer main bottom winding window seal will need to be prised up and off. Not really a problem as this can be done with the window wound down fully. However, the fixed 'one piece' seal housing the fixed quarter light glass on the door is probably going to have to come out as well.

I'm assuming that the door card will have to come off first.

The questions are:

Does the glass from the main winding window have to be fully taken out or detached first to be able to get at the bottom screw holding the guide channel strip piece (between the main window and the quarter light / corner window) to remove it before then being able to pull the corner window and seal away and put if the doorframe whole?

Any tips for removing the corner window?

Where exactly is the bottom screw holding the guide channel / separator to the door?

I'd rather not have to disturb all the polythene door membrane to get at and unclipped the winding window glass to do this.

Just thinking ahead, as I'd rather remove things like this myself beforehand in my own time rather than leave it for the body shop.

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Driver's Door Quarterlight

Post by essextom »

ive taken front qtr wiindow out without removing main glass before. there are 3 screws for the guide channel, one bottom middle and top. mmiddle one is a pain to get back in from memory. top is located behind the seal and lower is easy to see once door card is off

hiltow

Post by hiltow »

Thanks essextom,

Definitely sounds like it will be worthwhile removing the door card beforehand then, but as I'll have to probably keep the window in and door mirror on for the journey to the bodyshop at least I can forewarn them about how to remove them.

Suppose some real care will be needed not to drop any of the guide channel screws into the inside of the doorframe.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Magnet on a stick to collect anything dropped inside the door can work :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
essextom

Post by essextom »

hiltow wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:11 pm Thanks essextom,

Definitely sounds like it will be worthwhile removing the door card beforehand then, but as I'll have to probably keep the window in and door mirror on for the journey to the bodyshop at least I can forewarn them about how to remove them.

Suppose some real care will be needed not to drop any of the guide channel screws into the inside of the doorframe.
im always dropping stuff in there, its pretty open and easy to get stuff out.