Dashboard lights

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
philipayton
fill in the right answer: 15

Dashboard lights

Post by philipayton »

I have a bit of a mishmash of dash lights working -all exterior lights are fine.

Headlight switch is new and dimmer works

Rev counter, rear window heater, heater control panel all light up ok.

Speedo, handbrake warning light, hazard light switch and headlight switch, clock do not light up.

Fog light doesn’t light up but have 12v so suspect switch is faulty.

Hazard light switch has 1.6v supply to bulb.

I’m wondering if there’s a connector block sat behind the dash that could be at fault?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

philipayton

Re: Dashboard lights

Post by philipayton »

Update. Most of it now working. Just a few switches - headlamp, hazard, handbrake warning light.

I’m not sure I’m using the right bulbs. Can anyone tell me what the correct bulbs are please?

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

For the switches, you need a 12V, 1.2W push fit bulb, VW part number N0177512. Alternatives are widely available, eg Halfords bulb code 286.

The brake warning light takes 2 of these bulbs.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Thanks. I’ve now managed to get all the lights working - a mixture of bulbs, bulb holders, switches, relays and bad connections! Even with the resistor at max they’re not particularly bright though.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Yes that sounds normal as there not like modern instruments clusters which glow brightly.

I’ve read that some people have used 2w bulbs like what’s used for the clock/MFA display for the 2 bulbs above speedo and rev counter, I’ve still got the 1.2w bulbs and when it’s dark with no street lights you can just about make the fuel gauge:-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323