Oil cooler oil leak

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
p in phcas
fill in the right answer: 10

Oil cooler oil leak

Post by p in phcas »

It seems i have an oil leak between the faces of the oil cooler to the block. Not huge, but annoying.

Has anyone removed / replaced the gaskets before? Any hints or tips greatly appreciated. Also, a parts list would be helpful.

It is the later type with the water cooled connectors. Haynes isn’t very helpful on the matter.

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
essextom

Re: Oil cooler oil leak

Post by essextom »

ive taken them off before, pretty simple. worth changing the oil filter at the same time. just need the gasket i think. unbolt the assembly, nw gasket on and bolt it up.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

New gasket (lots on eBay)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221500754144 ... R_73veX3YA

Worth cleaning out the Allen key bolts heads before undoing them. I would change the oil and filter while doing that job so if it’s not due an oil change it may be worth waiting if the oil leak is not that bad, remove the oil filter before undoing the housing to make it easier to remove the oil filter.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

Haynes shows 1 exploded view in the engine section. It shows the water cooler cartridge can be separated from the Oil cooler body. Does that bit need to come off to get to the allen key bolts?

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I guess it depends on what sort of Allen keys you have?

If you do need to remove the water feed oil cooler there’s a nut holding it in place but you need to remove the oil filter to get to it, it’s worth fitting a new O ring if you do remove it as if the O ring splits it makes a right mess as the oil is under pressure and sprays out everywhere, I found out the hard way with a big pool of oil on the floor…

New O ring.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363614326777 ... BMhu_pufhg

Membership No. 323
ThomasD
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ThomasD »

Hi Guys - I have to do this job soon as well and have a question - do you recommend any kind of sealer or gasket dressing with the new paper gasket or just make sure the mating surfaces are clean and install the paper gasket dry between the engine block and the oil filter mounting? I don't normally like to use any sealer unless it is called for, but I also don't want to have to do the job twice...

Thanks!
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

No sealer needed just make sure the surface is clean as you said in your post.

Membership No. 323
ThomasD
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ThomasD »

mark1gls wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:32 pm No sealer needed just make sure the surface is clean as you said in your post.
Thanks! Appreciate it!!

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6