Prospective mk1 scirocco buyer

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
tominator
fill in the right answer: 15

Prospective mk1 scirocco buyer

Post by tominator »

Hi guys, I went to view a 1980 mk1 Scirocco 1.6 gls auto today 68500 miles with the hope of purchasing it.

The car is totally original, Indiana red paint with the full red interior. The interior is pretty much immaculate apart from a couple of very small cracks on the dashboard. The body work is straight with no obvious damage and no rust to speak of apart from the odd small stonechip. The paint is 42 yrs old but generally in very good condition. It runs, drives, and stops as it should, the gearbox being an auto, changed smoothly and picked up well.
My only concern mechanically is upon starting the car the starter motor is very noisy! Are they available to buy still?

The only concerns that I could see were the front and rear chrome inserts around the windows have been painted black and the chrome gutter trims are missing. Wheels are also in very good condition.
It will come with 4 new tyres, new mot, new cambelt kit, brakes serviced, delivery which is a 300 mile round trip, and a full engine service.

The guy won't budge on his asking price of £11995.

Given all the above information is £11995 on the money for an original, unmolested, low mileage, only 3 previous owner car.
Or is it over priced?

Thanks in advance for your help and advise
Andy

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Prospective mk1 scirocco buyer

Post by mark1gls »

Hello Andy,

Service /spare parts are Mk1 Golf so readily available, trim and some body parts are no longer available.
Plastic chrome trim to fill the window rubber is available but side window chrome is 2nd hand only.

Without seeing the car it’s impossible to give advice on the asking price, can you post up some pictures?

There is a buyers guide on this site

Most Mk1s have suffered from rust some point in their life so to find a car without having any work is not common place.

In my opinion the 1980 red GLS Auto is bottom of my wish list with the GTi - Storm being top..

Pictures or link to advert will help.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

It must be this one, I assume: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144548870371
Or on dealer website here: https://angleseyclassiccars.com/inventory/709-2-4/

I think it's impossible to judge value without seeing it, but within the limitations of the low res pictures, it looks pretty tidy. It's a pity they haven't included an engine bay shot. It's also well worth having a good look all round the underside of the car to check the condition of the bodywork and running gear.

The MOT history at gov.uk (from 2011 to 2019) looks positive. The gov.uk road tax check shows the last V5C was issued Feb 2012, so it's been with its most recent owner for at least 10 years. The Google review profile for the garage (Bryn Coed Garage) looks good too. My feeling is, if it as good as it seems, given they are a trader, the price doesn't feel unreasonable.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If it is the car in the link above then it’s not an original car and has been resprayed/restored at some point in its life as it’s missing the side trim which are impossible to buy new…
Also the steering wheel has a cover over it, ether to cover up damage or protect it?

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I think it’s missing the chrome trim along the sills and is suffering from the curse of the aftermarket 80s pop top sunroof… :-D

Membership No. 323
tominator

Post by tominator »

mark1gls wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:59 pm Hello Andy,

Service /spare parts are Mk1 Golf so readily available, trim and some body parts are no longer available.
Plastic chrome trim to fill the window rubber is available but side window chrome is 2nd hand only.

Without seeing the car it’s impossible to give advice on the asking price, can you post up some pictures?

There is a buyers guide on this site

Most Mk1s have suffered from rust some point in their life so to find a car without having any work is not common place.

In my opinion the 1980 red GLS Auto is bottom of my wish list with the GTi - Storm being top..

Pictures or link to advert will help.
Thank's for the reply.

I'm with you on the color of the car and the fact that it is an auto, it's not very desirable! It is the one for sale in Anglesey, there's a link below in another post.

tominator

Post by tominator »

mark1gls wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:58 am If it is the car in the link above then it’s not an original car and has been resprayed/restored at some point in its life as it’s missing the side trim which are impossible to buy new…
Also the steering wheel has a cover over it, ether to cover up damage or protect it?
If it has been restored at some point they did a very good job of it, although saying that the paint does look original in places and maybe a little too good in others, but overall very presentable and solid with good clean arch lips, sills, ect.

Would the side and sill trims have been glued on or fitted on with clips?
If clips then yes it has been painted as the holes are not there!

It's a non leather steering wheel so maybe covered to give it a leather look.

tominator

Post by tominator »

GT_II wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:38 am It must be this one, I assume: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144548870371

I think it's impossible to judge value without seeing it, but within the limitations of the low res pictures, it looks pretty tidy. It's a pity they haven't included an engine bay shot. It's also well worth having a good look all round the underside of the car to check the condition of the bodywork and running gear.

The MOT history at gov.uk (from 2011 to 2019) looks positive. The gov.uk road tax check shows the last V5C was issued Feb 2012, so it's been with its most recent owner for at least 10 years. The Google review profile for the garage (Bryn Coed Garage) looks good too. My feeling is, if it as good as it seems, given they are a trader, the price doesn't feel unreasonable.
Yes it is the above car.

The engine bay is presentable it just needs a clean. I did get to look under the car, it's sold, straight, and very well protected under there, running gear good too, and a new ish exhaust.
Looking at the history of the car it's last service in the book was 1987, two same family owners swapped in 2012, and the current owner who's had it three years but didn't send off the log book so still in family owners name!

So given all the information from yourself, myself, and previous information from earlier posts.

Probably the less most desirable mk1 Scirocco.
Not the most popular color.
Automatic gear box.
Possibly been restored/respray.
Missing side and sill trim, front and rear chrome window trim painted black.
Sunroof.
Different keys for doors and ignition.
Speed three on the heater fan doesn't work.
Bumpers front and rear have been painted black.
Poor service history.

Is it hiding something....I don't know?

So to my original question and the reason for me posting this.....Is it really worth paying £11995???

Just to let you know I do have experience with old VW's as I've owned a mk1 Golf, and currently own 2 mk1 Polo's.

Thank's

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

tominator wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:10 pm So to my original question and the reason for me posting this.....Is it really worth paying £11995???
If you are buying it for your personal enjoyment, it ticks the right boxes for you personally, it met or exceeded your expectations when you went to see it, and you plan to keep it, then you can probably afford to take a little bit of a risk on the price. If you maintain it well, after 5 years, it will likely be worth more than you paid for it.

However, if it is not quite what you are looking for, or it wasn't quite as nice as you expected before you viewed it, then maybe you should keep hold of your cash until something closer to what you are looking for comes onto the market.

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Re the underside: look carefully for corrosion where the rear beam mounts. This is a known rust location and expensive to repair and, if it does occur, a good bargaining point.
Indiana red is my favourite for a non Storm model.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Side trim is stuck on with double sided tape, sill trim has plastic clips with holes along the sill so I guess new sills and probably new front wings have been fitted and the car has had a re spray to colour match as it’s red.
Did you lift the carpets?

I agree with GT_II comments on buying the car

What do you intend to do with the car?

If I was buying the car for myself the price is high, I’ve not seen the car so can only guess and depends on how good the work on the car been done and finished.
Problem being not many Mk1 s have come up for sale but there are still a few lurking in garages… ;-)

Membership No. 323
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Some great advice here. Price wise, hmm, bit on the high side for me, but a green Mk1 Storm recently went for £13k, so £12k for this tidy example is perhaps fair.

I agree with Mark1gls in that I would be surprised if no rust. Check the wheel arches and pinch weld jack points for rattle can overspray from an unscrupulous dealer...

Had the same with Gladys!

that said, for a 68k miles car the condition on the face of it is in keeping with the low miles. Does the MOT history back it up? What sort of history comes with it? Gladys had the original dealer pre delivery check list. That kind of provinance is rare these days.

That said, there are just 4 Mk1 GLS's registered on the road with 10/11 SORN.

She's a rare one. Worth the price?? Judging by the photos, I'd say so. Never mind it's not the most desirable Gti or Storm variant, the rarity and attention to detail of this example will stand the test of time!

Good luck with her... did I mention, I LOVE an Auto!!! :pilot:

Russ

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
steveb

Post by steveb »

Is this the one that sold at mathewsons auctions last year or the year before ? for about 6k ?

Edit to add, yes it is, thats some mark up .....

ImageMk1 GLS 1980 by S Datus, on Flickr

steveb

Post by steveb »

tominator wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:10 pm
GT_II wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:38 am It must be this one, I assume: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144548870371

Yes it is the above car.

The engine bay is presentable it just needs a clean. I did get to look under the car, it's sold, straight, and very well protected under there, running gear good too, and a new ish exhaust.
Looking at the history of the car it's last service in the book was 1987, two same family owners swapped in 2012, and the current owner who's had it three years but didn't send off the log book so still in family owners name!

So given all the information from yourself, myself, and previous information from earlier posts.

Probably the less most desirable mk1 Scirocco.
Not the most popular color.
Automatic gear box.
Possibly been restored/respray.
Missing side and sill trim, front and rear chrome window trim painted black.
Sunroof.
Different keys for doors and ignition.
Speed three on the heater fan doesn't work.
Bumpers front and rear have been painted black.
Poor service history.

Is it hiding something....I don't know?

So to my original question and the reason for me posting this.....Is it really worth paying £11995???

Just to let you know I do have experience with old VW's as I've owned a mk1 Golf, and currently own 2 mk1 Polo's.

Thank's
See my post below, if it's not the right car for you i wouldn't be paying that much. if you are happy with it i guess the word is find another...... .

There is a MK 1 Storm up for less money, estimate at an auction just need to remember where i saw it .....

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

steveb wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:18 pm Is this the one that sold at mathewsons auctions last year or the year before ? for about 6k ?

Edit to add, yes it is, thats some mark up .....
So it looks like the current owner has had it 18 months, not 3 years. Perhaps a trader, or someone who saw the potential to make a profit?