Thermostat

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Thermostat

Post by Brenjacques »

Hi all,
Still getting through the bits the GT S needs. I've noticed on long drives the engine it getting a bit hot, I think the thermostat is a bit sticky. Went out in it yesterday and it was fine for quite a while but suddenly the temp started to rise past half way. I let it do what it wanted and it continued to rise to 3 quarters and the fan kicked in. Some days it is fine other days it plays up so I think the thermostat is on its way out as it always seems to be if I've let it sit for a few days.

I'm going to buy a new one, anyone know of a good brand to get? I've read some brands open hotter than others, I would prefer a decent one that isn't going to allow it to run hot.

blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Thermostat

Post by blakey »

I recently bought a Circoli stat from Euro Car Parts, it's been in a couple of months/couple of thousand miles ago, engine temp is steady in all conditions.

There was a couple of options on the website, with and without a seal... temperature ratings were the same between them.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Thermostat

Post by mark1gls »

Always fit a new seal when replacing thermostat, what coolant are you using as it does need replacing when needed, standard blue stuff is usually every 2 years.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323