1.8 8v smoking when warm

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Luke-stokes
fill in the right answer: 15

1.8 8v smoking when warm

Post by Luke-stokes »

I’ve recently replaced my head gasket on my overheated engine, the head was refurbed including guides and stem seals, a leak down test on the bottom showed excellent sealing, the compression is good and it started first time.

So the issue, when cold the car isles and drives with no smoke, as soon as it’s warmed up it’s a little smokey at idle and when I initially accelerate I get a plume of smoke and it clears as the revs pick up.

It’s bluish white smoke and I think smells oily.

the Weber carb has only been set up as per the Weber instructions but it seems pretty good

I don’t suppose anyone has experienced anything similar or might offer some suggestions in the cause? I assumed ribgs but they seemed very good when doing a leak down test

Thanks in advance!

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1.8 8v smoking when warm

Post by mark1gls »

Try and get the CO reading of the carb to check it’s not to rich.
Check to colour condition of the spark plugs.
Are you using any oil?
How long ago did you replace the head gasket?
Did you clean out the rocker cover gauze, underneath the cover cover, if it gets blocked up it causes pressure build up and blow out of the exhaust.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323