Best engine conversion? Any help please.

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Eigdoog
fill in the right answer: 15

Best engine conversion? Any help please.

Post by Eigdoog »

Hello all!

So i bet this has been asked before but i cant find too much about it.

Whats the best engine to swap over into a mk2? Is it just the 1.8t (150hp) from the golf? If so and i buy a donor car will it have everything i need to do a simple ish swap?

Thanks.

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Best engine conversion? Any help please.

Post by essextom »

get a 225bhp bam engine, will save you money in the long run. You will need- engine, gearbox, loom from a donor minimum. You will need to buy- mounts, exhaust downpipe, loom or modify it yourself, hyd clutch conversion kit depending on what you do, also intercooler and a fair few other bits depending on how you do it. But buy bam 225 with k04 turbo.

Rocco2

Post by Rocco2 »

Gather all the parts before you start, it's a lot faster to build if you don't have to wait stuff to be delivered.
I did order as much as I knew that I would need and still had to wait for some intercooler hoses for two weeks :D because I wanted black ones instead of blue ones.
Overall it took about 60-70 labour hours from start to finish.
Electrical stuff took the longest to sort out. And I also rebuilt the whole engine, changed the whole exhaust, suspension got an upgrade.

To think about it has been crazy and exciting to do it all :D and the rocco is loads of fun now!

Rocco goes turbo
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

All depends on what you want from the engine and what car you have to start of with, carb or fuel injection?

Some info here on engine conversion if starting off with a fuel injected car, can be done if your car is a carb but extra fuel pumps needed.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page ... misc&id=26

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

i think best engine is very debatable, 1.8t rocco is fun and fast but i love the chunky power the little 1.8 carb produces and seeing the little mods and changes ive made improve it.
i would suggest driving many different types before making your decision.
if i was going to upgrade i would do a 2 litre 8v upgrade on mine and stick with the carb after driving bill neals white kitless mk2 with this setup i immediately liked it more so than the turbo roccos.
its not faster by a long chalk but it was so much fun to drive!

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

james butler wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:24 pm if i was going to upgrade i would do a 2 litre 8v upgrade
Which cars would you find this in?

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
james butler

Post by james butler »

theres quite a few but my choice would be from a mk3 golf estate as like likey to have been thrashed

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I’ve got a 2.0l engine block from a mk3 golf and Gti head to go into my Mk1 Golf Gti next year, should be fun. :-D

Membership No. 323
Eigdoog

Post by Eigdoog »

Well ive been thinking about it and i would like to see around 200hp and im not that fussed how i get it. If i could mod the engine i already have i would but unsure what mods could be done.

Not even 100% sure what sort ive got! Only just got the car but im trying to forward think.
Can the standard engine be tuned? I understand there is a 8v and a 16v? How do i know what ive got?

essextom

Post by essextom »

you'll have to fit either a g60-1.8t-16vt-vr6 to get 200bhp. 1.8 20vt would be easiest for that power id suggest. as a standard engine mapped should be 200 or close depending on type.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Post up a picture of what's in there and we can tell you what you have.

May be worth giving your current engine a good service and but it on a rolling road as see if you are any where near the standard performance figures.

Fuel injected 1.8 engine (DX) should make 112bhp.
Carb 1.8 (EX) should make 90 bhp.

How much have you got to spend and who will do the work, your self or take it to a garage and get them to do all the work?
A 20Vt engine conversion all done for you is not cheap at £5000 ish......
Simpler engine conversions will cost alot less......

Membership No. 323
Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Have a look at the Haynes Golf GTI Performance manual by Tim Stiles (of TSR). Lots of good info re upgrade of various VW engines and engine swaps.