Accelerator pedal gromit

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Nickmk2
fill in the right answer: 15

Accelerator pedal gromit

Post by Nickmk2 »

O.k i got my rocc back on the road and it flew through its m.o.t but a while ago the gromit on top of the accelerator pedal disintegrated so cable ties in hand i fixed the pedal and off we went... i forgot all about it and today the trusty cable tie failed... so re cable tied up and thinkin i need to get the gromit... but i ordered one off vw heritage and the one that came is far too small (think its for a mk1) i cant seem to find the part on its own.. does anyone have the part number or where i can get the gromit linking the cable to the pedal? I cant rely on trusty cable ties forever. thankyou in advance

mr.brown

Re: Accelerator pedal gromit

Post by mr.brown »

mk1, mk2 Scirocco and mk1 Golf are all the same part - 431 721 559

It should have been this one - assuming you have a manual gearbox

https://www.vwheritage.com/431721559-ac ... t-vw-spare

DannyH
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by DannyH »

Danny
Nickmk2

Post by Nickmk2 »

Thanks chaps.. really appreciate i mustve just got the wrong part completely....muppet....need to make sure rocc is reliable enough to make it up to augusts meet and its a fair journey from here in wiltshire.

moser

Post by moser »

it wouldnt be the first time vw heritage sent the wrong thing out!

I think i got mine from ebay. Something in the back of my head says that some mk3 goofs are the same as well?

91 Scirocco Scala - Too low for MOT ramps apparently
03 Seat Cordoba PD130 - Daily
52 Golf 1.6 - Mrs' shopping trolley
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Have a read of this,

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... ccelerator

You want the Mk2 Golf rubber grommet as the foam grommets are rubbish and fail in no time and make sure the hook is not bent.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

As Mark above said use a Mk2 golf grommet. Cheap as chips off heritage and way more solid. I only discovered I needed one as I replaced my clutch pedal as half of the clutch plate where your foot rests had fallen off. So after removing the tray under the steering wheel I discovered that my accelerator had no grommet at all and was just hanging in. How long it's been like that I have no idea. I put the cable in the mk 2 golf grommet first and then forced the grommet it with no grease using vice grips to prize it in. Works a treat and no need for the circlips. But hey if you want to get your mum involved and go down that route be my guest. I also bought some rubbers for my clutch pedal as it didn't have any, replaced my brake pedal rubber and put on a new accelerator pedal rubber. First time in a long time if ever that I've had all three pedals in a Rocco with proper rubber on! Took a while to get used to. Thought my brakes were spongy! Just the feel of the rubber on the pedal for a change!

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

Accelerator pedal is not supposed to have a rubber on ;-)

Lots of people do it though.

Joost

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Blueshark wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:44 pm Accelerator pedal is not supposed to have a rubber on ;-)

Lots of people do it though.

Joost
Never had a rubber cover on my accelerator pedal and the Mk1 Golf was only 6 years old when it found its way into my family.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

why did vw decide to so it this way?
seems a strange thing to have designed and made to be like this when a simple ball end fitting into a slot would suffice?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!