1985 GTX + 1991 GT2 20VT!

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
mk2daz
fill in the right answer: 15

1985 GTX + 1991 GT2 20VT!

Post by mk2daz »

Hi my names Daz I’m 19 and new to this forum and new to sciroccos. I have driven a 1991 golf gti since I passed my test at 17 and its been spot on and a brilliant car to learn from. Iv always liked the look of the old sciroccos too and iv recently picked up this 1985 GTX thats in need of some serious attention. It was laid up in the depths of a barn and the previous owners son had been thrashing it around fields for a while so it was covered in dubs and I’m sure the underside is too. I still need to get it up on a ramp or jacked up so I can take a look at the underside. I know it will need sills and probably a lot more. It had been sat for a good couple years last being on the road in 2012. it runs and starts and stops well for how long its been sat so I was able to load it onto the trailer under its own steam. Im really looking forward to the whole process of restoring it to a roadworthy state and hopefully driving it like it used to be back in the day. I know a bit about the golfs so hopefully some of that knowledge is transferable to the sciroccos but I’m new to the whole k-jet fuel injection as my golf is digifant electrical injection. So il most likely be asking alot of questions on here but at the end of the day thats how I learn.

Some pictures of the car as it was when I picked it up and got it home…. As you can see part of the original body kit is missing but its in the boot along with the front bumper. Its a complete car but needs a lot of work to get it through an MOT..

138K on the clock however its not the original engine the owner said so I’m unsure of the genuine mileage on the engine but the shell has 138K, reasonable for a 31 year old car.

Interior is complete and in VERY good condition minus the dirt, there are no rips on the bolsters or anything. The headlining is complete (no pics unfortunately) but the sun visors are a bit mouldy and the sunroof needs some attention.

Here it is next to my mk2 golf daily runner

Gave it a much needed wash to reveal some more of the nasty panels that needed repaired/replaced. The drivers front wing had a dent in it as the guys son had put it through a hedge and a couple of barbed wire fences. The headlights were pretty much shot with both indicators gone and the front valance had been bent back pretty badly. Hopefully repairable. The front bumper was also in the boot but I kind of stuck it on without fixing it in place to see how it looked.

Rear arch is ROTTEN! Looking for a replacement if anyone has one?

Drivers door needs patched up or replaced, iv noticed VWheritage does the doorskins but hopefully I can save some money and just patch it up or find a donor.

Hole on the passengers door, maybe a poor attempt to break in???

In need of front wings too, unless I can repair this, I might just relocate the aerial altogether.

Broken indicators and dented drivers wing

Absolutely love this Zender spoiler

Engine looks tired but runs sweet, could do with a clean up and some oil leaks seen to. And of course a good service, filter changes/ oil change / some new fuel / coolant etc etc

Heres the interior after I gave it a good hoover out and clean. Nothing better than a cockpit from an 80s scirocco.

Boot half filled with some missing parts, the boot floor is absolutely solid and so are the suspension turrets, gave everything a good clean it was looking quite good after.

Something living under the scuttle tray!

My first of many questions to come, this ballast resistor right here, is it required? On the golfs everyone seems to just rip it out and get rid of it as its a fire hazard from shorting against the chassis leg from where its located..

Aint she beautiful

Let me know what you think

If anyone has some parts let me know il probably need everything you’ve got!

Im looking forward to meeting some people off here and learning some more about the old sciroccos..

Cheers, daz
Last edited by mk2daz on Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1985 scirocco GTX barn find restoration

Post by GTXTRA »

Daz, welcome.
A lot to do on the old girl but always good to see new blood on here.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
bengould

Post by bengould »

Looks like a really good starting point. Rear arches are a pretty common rust trap, especially on cars with the body kit. There was someone on here making them though.

That resistor is for your interior fan speed. Never heard of it being a fire hazard in a Rocco.

I have quite a lot of spare parts & panels, some listed in my for sale thread, plus plenty more I've not got round to doing much with yet.

Ben.

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

bengould wrote:Looks like a really good starting point. Rear arches are a pretty common rust trap, especially on cars with the body kit. There was someone on here making them though.

That resistor is for your interior fan speed. Never heard of it being a fire hazard in a Rocco.

I have quite a lot of spare parts & panels, some listed in my for sale thread, plus plenty more I've not got round to doing much with yet.

Ben.
good to know Ben cheers.

What panels have you got? Im after rear arches, possibly a front wing, indicators and loads more

I see your in Renfrew, thats where my mk2 golf came from.

Im up in north east of Scotland so its nice to see some Scottish members on here :-D

cheers

daz

bengould

Post by bengould »

Off the top of my head I've got doors, wings, tailgates, possibly a bonnet, assorted glass, steering racks, maybe a rear beam, various switches, outer headlights, hubs & driveshafts.
Don't think I've got any indicators and I definitely don't have any rear arches.

Ben.

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

bengould wrote:Off the top of my head I've got doors, wings, tailgates, possibly a bonnet, assorted glass, steering racks, maybe a rear beam, various switches, outer headlights, hubs & driveshafts.
Don't think I've got any indicators and I definitely don't have any rear arches.

Ben.
Sounds good Ben, Iv hopefully sorted out some rear arches and il definitely be in touch for some parts in the near future.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

had a couple of hours spare this morning so went out to see the old girl. Decided to get her up on the ramps to take a first look at the underside of the car. I know it failed it's last MOT in 2012 due to excessive corrosion on the drivers rear suspension support and that the sills definitely needed replaced.

The underside as expected was very muddy with lots of dry dubs lodged into every little gap possible. Both rear arches are rotten and will need replaced. The fuel filler neck isn't the best but it's still whole. Is there replacements for these? I was thinking of getting one made up from some stainless steel pipe if not. The rear drivers side suspension turret is actually quite bad, a small whole that will need patched up. I'd didnt peel back the foam surround enough yesterday to notice.

I just need to try and source some panels to get things moving, what panels exactly are a straight fit from a mk1 golf? If any?

Fuel filler neck

The underside..

only had time to scrape off some of the dubs and what not from the rear end so still need to do the front but hopefully gonna get the car round to a mates house who had the full hydraulic ramp to save me crawling under it all the time

The oil light is always on when the car is running so I seem to that today just replaced the oil pressure sensor that bolts to the head, I think previous owner had wrong one on it so I stuck on a spare one I had from my golf and it sorted that. The car was idling pretty low so adjusted that with the idle screw so she's at around 950rpm now

I think it's had an alarm system wired in at some point which il be ripping out as it doesn't seem to even work and it's probably well outdated. The central locking also doesn't work with the key but when the car is running and the fan kicks in the central locking activates! And when the fan goes off the car unlocks again. Very strange il need to look at some of the wiring. The clocks work spot on the MFA screen all in tact with most of the settings giving a reasonably accurate reading.

when cleaning out the interior I found a wrapper to a bag of revels with best before date 1995, that's before I was even on the planet! :lol: il probably keep a hold of this as a memory to my barn find

So there's a lot of work needing done on the old girl but I'm in no real rush. I just want to learn and have fun restoring it as this is my first proper project.

All responses to my questions are appreciated as it really helps me out

Daz

DT1

Post by DT1 »

When you fix the rear turret change the angle that the bracket for the filler pipe sits, it's usually the point where it rusts through. It's a bad design and collects a pile of crud the way it is fitted.

Agree with Ben regarding the ballast resistor, never had a problem with the blower on a Scirocco.

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

DT1 wrote:When you fix the rear turret change the angle that the bracket for the filler pipe sits, it's usually the point where it rusts through. It's a bad design and collects a pie of crud the way it is fitted.

Agree with Ben regarding the ballast resistor, never had a problem with the blower on a Scirocco.
Thank you I will keep that in mind when I come to repairing it. Does anyone know if these mk1 golf ones will fit or am I better off just patching it up the way it is?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282001827671

Regards

Daz

DT1

Post by DT1 »

Just to clear up, are you talking about the support for the rear shock being rusty? From your picture I assumed you were talking about the part of the inner wheel housing behind the fuel filler which seems to be where all the rust is.
mk2daz wrote:Image

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

DT1 wrote:Just to clear up, are you talking about the support for the rear shock being rusty? From your picture I assumed you were talking about the part of the inner wheel housing behind the fuel filler which seems to be where all the rust is.
mk2daz wrote:Image

My apologies, I was getting mixed up and seemed to think the rust was on the suspension surround so just ignore that last message!

I will just patch it up with some sheet metal I think.

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Excited to see this one progress. Despite first reservations it seems to be in good nick considering its been driven around fields! Check the rear beam mounts too. They are normally rotten. If you can clean up the filler neck, do that as you can't get replacements. You can make a mk1 golf one fit and a plastic one out of a bmw too. They always rust through at the top where they bolt onto the bracket. Keep the pics coming and ask any questions.

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

steve bain wrote:Excited to see this one progress. Despite first reservations it seems to be in good nick considering its been driven around fields! Check the rear beam mounts too. They are normally rotten. If you can clean up the filler neck, do that as you can't get replacements. You can make a mk1 golf one fit and a plastic one out of a bmw too. They always rust through at the top where they bolt onto the bracket. Keep the pics coming and ask any questions.

Cheers Steve there will be a lot of questions I'm afraid haha but everyone on here seems very knowledgable about sciroccos!

I still need to spend a couple hours assessing everything on the car, mainly underneath but my access to ramps and what not is limited.

Il try keep this thread picture heavy :-D

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

upcoming plans are

- remove the full body kit to really see the extent of the corrosion and start gathering repair panels
- remove the door cards to fit new door membranes for water leaks (depending on current ones condition)
- clean up the underside as much as possible to see what needs what
- service
- wheels off clean up arches and brakes etc
- collect as many missing parts as I can
- strip out old alarm system

I'll see how everything goes and what my bank account says.. it may be a slow progress

Wishing everyone a happy new year and all the best for 2017! :lol:

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

With nothing better to do on New Years eve I decided to crack on with the GTX

Today I decided to get it back up on the ramps and get underneath it again and try and get rid of all the dubs and crud that had accumulated from all the field thrashing the car has taken. Typically for Scotland it was chucking it down with rain so I took cover underneath the car with a wire brush and a light. This time I got the front end up to see what was what and too hopefully take a better look at the floor/sills.

Here Is how everything looked when I first got underneath it, the picture doesn't really do it much justice but there was just mud everywhere! It really is a shame that the guy let his son thrash this car around after it failed its MOT but then on the other hand at least he never scrapped it! and what 14/15 year old would turn down the opportunity to thrash an old Rocco around a field, I know I wouldn't..

After a bit of work with the wire brush and a handful of dirt lodged into each eye the front end was starting to clean up nicely and it was starting to look like a normal car again rather than a tractor

Fuel lines are also hanging down as one of the clips on the floor has completely snapped off. im sure I can get a replacement or make up my own in some way even if its cable ties :lol:

I dont suppose anybody has a cover for the gearshift mechanism bit? its a greased up part so im 99.99% sure its missing a cover. Its directly where the gearstick exits the floor.

My next question is related to jacking points, on my golf iv only ever jacked it up using the chassis rail or the circular jacking points similar to as pictured below. I just want to check that these are safe jacking points as I don't want to force any more holes in the car as there is enough already :lol:

This was what was left really of the top section of the exhaust heat shield

And the heat shield to the fuel tank is being held together with duct tape by the looks of things

After this I got the sills cleaned up enough to the point where I could see what was what and what was needing to be patched up. I knew it had failed its MOT due to excessive corrosion and im sure the owner mentioned something about the sills so I was expecting none other than rotten sills. And thats just what I found. This isn't too worrying as they should patch up fairly well. Hopefully the bodykit isn't hiding too much rot either. Its next in the list of things to do to remove it and see what the script is from there.

Passenger side front section:

Chassis rail:

wishbones.. il need to probably renew just about everything I think, track rod ends, cv joints etc and the wishbones will get cleaned up and painted. I actually cleaned them up a bit more after this but never took any pictures afterwards but they are solid enough

Drivers side sill front section has seen some repair patches in the past by looks of things:

further down the drivers side sill was a nasty site:

drivers side rear section of the sill around the fuel pump area:

And that was about it for today, the rain was starting to get really heavy so I decided to call it a day. Next job is to definitely get the body kit off as im quite worried what lies beneath. Im just really hoping my front arches are in one piece and are solid. The deeper I get with this car the more crust I discover but thats all you can expect really from a 31 year old car. But I take my hat off to the old scirocco as she starts up first time every time and she's able to move about the drive and up the ramp etc under her own steam no problem and I have a big grin every time I start it up :D

Iv noticed the fuel pump doesn't engage and prime every time, il need to check some wiring/relay with multimeter as I sometimes have to dip the throttle slightly to get her fired up.

definitely More to come from this thread, im trying to make it as picture heavy as possible as im not great at writing lots of words and pictures are more interesting to look at.

Happy new year to everyone and all the best for 2017.
Last edited by mk2daz on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.