Headlight upgrade kit, plug and play

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Macc
fill in the right answer: 15

Headlight upgrade kit, plug and play

Post by Macc »

Already posted this over on the fb group so may as well do it on the forum too for those who dont book the face!

Just attempting to gauge some interest in this, basically an electrical engineer friend can build a headlight wiring loom upgrade kit, like vw heritages but totally plug and play and for all 3 lights each side (Total 4xh3, 2xh4), he's holding off on ordering in case there is demand for more as the parts must be ordered in and the more who order, the less each unit becomes etc but were looking around the £25 - £35 mark.
Anyway if enough show interest I can bring them along to the meet in August or we can post them out.
Quality wise he says theres no way he would put his name on the loom heritage sells which, considering the heritage one is already quite good, says it all really!

And Dave, owner at GFX Power who is designing and manufacturing these later in the thread said.

"The kit will plug into the existing loom, and use the original power to the lamps as a control signal. This signal will be used to control additional relays feed directly from the battery via a fuse. New wires from the relays with the correct plug will then be used for the lamps."

Any other queries etc please email Dave at david.withington@gfxpower.co.uk

1990 MK2 1.8 GTII Scirocco "Black Shuck"
mr alpine92

Re: Headlight upgrade kit, plug and play

Post by mr alpine92 »

book me down for a set only if only there going be cheper as there only £36+posting on heritages

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

Book me down to please..

Mark

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

It's best to fit one with 2 fuses and relays, one for each light so if one blows you still have 1 headlight working as I've seen some for sale with just 1 fuse!
Not seen one which does all the lights.
I've fitted a loom to my Mk1 Scirocco main beam lights and the improvement is really noticeable, a well worth upgrade.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Macc

Post by Macc »

Just to clarify;
Totally plug and play, install or remove in seconds
All 3 lights each side, fogs, main/dipped and full beam.
Currently i believe 2 lights is the best so far (heritage?)
Fully fused and relayed.
If we get enough pre orders were aiming to deliver a better, more functional and cheaper loom than heritage curently offers

Macc

Post by Macc »

Mr Alpine, Mark H and anyone else wanting one, please send Dave an email on the addy above and he will add you to the list, cheers!

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

This is what I made up for my Mark 2 GTX.
One relay for both dip beams, one relay for both main beams in the outer lamps and one relay for both inner lamps. Relays are 40 amp and one of the relay holders incorporates three fuse holders.
The short piece of loom off to the left, ends in a headlight bulb connector block, which you plug into the headlight connector from the near side outer lamp using three small pieces of brass plate, cut to fit into the terminals of both blocks.

mr alpine92

Post by mr alpine92 »

Macc wrote:Mr Alpine, Mark H and anyone else wanting one, please send Dave an email on the addy above and he will add you to the list, cheers!
all done iv email him ;-)

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

Add me to the list to please.....

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Bear in mind that anyone wanting one for a Mk 1 Scirocco, a loom designed for the Mk 2, will not be a straight fit on the Mk 1, as the outer lamp unit sidelight connections are different.

Macc

Post by Macc »

Yes this doesnt support MK1's yet as theres no provision for the H1 headlight but just so I know, the MK1 has 1xH1 and 1xH3 each side? Because if thats the case and the interest is there we could look into building a H4 to H1 adapter

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

My mk1 has a plug like this on the back of bulbs as I fitted a kit from a Mk1 golf so is the mk2 scirocco not the same?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Macc

Post by Macc »

MK2 hasnt got the H1 bulb the MK1 has, different pinouts but could still be workable. MK2 is 2xH4, 4xH3. MK1 2xH1, 2xH3 (afaik)

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Mk1 has 4 H1 bulbs.
Inner lamp wiring would be the same as for the Mk2.
Because the sidelight in the outer lamp is wired through the same connector block as the dip beam - unlike the Mk2 where the side light is a separate fitment in the lamp - you would need to make up separate short lengths of wire to connect the sidelight pin in the connector block to the sidelight pin from the original loom.

Macc

Post by Macc »

Just letting folks know this is still happening just that Daves had a ton of work on but is getting round to it very soon