Replacement carb flange

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Replacement carb flange

Post by bengould »

I could probably get something drawn up. Would be a couple of weeks before I can get to stuff though, in the middle of moving house at the moment.
Might be able to get it as a cad file too, if not I can supply accurate enough measurements for someone to do it from.

Ben.

jakeb
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by jakeb »

ben and james, had a look at how to do this myself the other day when I had my carb off the car and am half way through getting a cad file together. was wondering how either of you two mounted the brackets for throttle cable and return spring too the weber?

I am replacing both the rubber flange and adapter plate on the weber for a 20mm ally plate but am having trouble working out how to mount these parts without interfering with the mounting bolts ( easy fitment in mind as ive had the carb off so much recently and find it a fiddly pain in the arse! )

any pictures would be much appreciated,
jake

bengould

Post by bengould »

For the throttle cable I made a bracket that fits between 2 of the rocker cover bolts.

For the return spring I made a bracket that attaches to the scuttle panel.

And I recessed the bolts for the flange otherwise they do get in the way.

Ben.

T33stat

Post by T33stat »

Reverse engineering something like this is extremely easy, from the rough sizes from memory you would be looking at around £3.50 a billet plus machine time and a markup, mass produced you could be sub £10 quite easily

Mk2 1.8 GT2 Project - Aubrey

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19331

jakeb

Post by jakeb »

Cheers Ben! It seems I was well over engineering this... Will pop the drawings Up with dimensions for any one who wants them but I may just go about it a similar way to you.

jakeb

Post by jakeb »

I am assuming you run the weber without the little black heater swapped over from the peirburg?

bengould

Post by bengould »

I did tidy it up a bit more, that was part way through, but yeah I made it as simple as I could. I only had a drill, a jigsaw and a sander to do it with though.

Can't remember if I re-fitted the heater thingy, probably not, this was all a while ago now and have since moved onto a 20v engine.

Ben.

jakeb

Post by jakeb »

I'll post the cad file tomorrow and you will see what I mean, was planning on sending it off to the cnc people and mounting all of the brackets too it as per the Webber baseplate.

But seeing yours I may give it a go with hand tools and some luck aha. Is it 20mm? Meaning no need to relocate the rocker cover mounted air box bracket.

Also any noticeable power gains / induction noise ? or just no more rubber gak where it should not be.

james butler

Post by james butler »

When I made mine it was a direct replacement for the rubber flange so didn't have an issue with mounts as I still had the weber base plate.
I noticed I had a snappier throttle response as I enlarged the openings so more air could get through.
Without a doubt the rubber flange is a restriction so worth modding if you get the chance

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

Right I've found the thread with photos of the alloy flange I made but for some reason I can't see the pics any more?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12067&p=86725#p86725

If you can see the photos you will be able to see how it was made and the mods I made.

jakeb

Post by jakeb »

cant see the pics either ben.

this was my first plan.

green bits are the throttle brackets from the weber baseplate now mounted on the replacement flange

blue is the bolts from flange to manifold
(2 are hex and two are allan key. I know this is a little silly but was the only way I could think to fit the brackets around them )

red is the studs that the carb mounts too and the shape of the flange to carb mounting face for my reference when drawing really.

the mount is 30mm tall so will require the extened airbox mount on the rocker cover.
think a few revisions are in order but was a good way to plan it out / think about it

(bit quiet at work recently, look busy and all that )

bengould

Post by bengould »

That looks a lot better than my attempt. Well impressed.

I used Allen headed bolts for all 4 that mount to the manifold, recessed just enough to get them below the surface.
Mine was 20mm yeah, if you reduced yours from 30 to 20mm you would get around having to use the air box raiser and your Allen heads would still be within the mount. The aluminium is plenty strong enough, you could probably go a bit deeper and fit a shakeproof washer in there too, just to be on the safe side.

Ben
Last edited by bengould on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bengould

Post by bengould »

jakeb wrote:cant see the pics either ben.
That was James. ;-).

They were attached to the post rather than linked to an external photo host so have possibly been trimmed from the forum with it being an old post.

Ben.

james butler

Post by james butler »

bengould wrote:
jakeb wrote:cant see the pics either ben.
That was James. ;-).

They were attached to the post rather than linked to an external photo host so have possibly been trimmed from the forum with it being an old post.

Ben.
Is there any way to retrieve old photos like that because I don't have them any more and were pre photo bucket days?

As regards the new cad flange design it looks good.
I wish I had something like that 7/8years ago lol

jakeb

Post by jakeb »

Sorry James!

ah it looks good on paper but not so easy to replicate, I only have access to basic hand tools and a friend with a pillar drill so a little out of my league maybe.

have drawn up what you have done ben with dimensions for anyone who fancies a crack ( im going to say I cant promise the dimensions are perfect just so I don't get it in the neck later down the line. Measure twice cut once!! )
I think with the first drawing I could go down to 25mm and still manage to get the original weber brackets onto the mount but sort of given up on sending it off to be machined as would rather keep this cheap n cheerfull

drawing as promised
Last edited by jakeb on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.