Front Strut Damper replacement

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Joe90
fill in the right answer: 15

Front Strut Damper replacement

Post by Joe90 »

Hi

I am replacing the dampers on a 1987 MK2 GTX. Having got the spring and damper retaining nut off I expected to find a simple damper inset to pull out. However I have found that the damper is an integral part of the strut and the strut seems to be the outer housing of the damper as the piston seals against it . I am hoping that the damper inserts you can get from GSF etc will just slot right in and replace this. can anyone help / advise?

Thanks

go-for-it1
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Front Strut Damper replacement

Post by go-for-it1 »

Yeah it just slots in. Tip- put some engine oil or leave some of the existing hydraulic damper oil in the strut before fitting the insert, this dissipates heat and stops any rattling between insert and strut

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
Joe90

Post by Joe90 »

Ok thanks for the quick reply and the tip.That's a relief also won't have to clean all that old oil out:). Also GSF giving a 33% discount in November on all parts. So that's gonna help. Will replace the top mounts as well.

Cheers

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Try looking around for Bilstein B4's, these are a direct replacement for OE shocks and are the dogs bollox, and perfect if you ever want to uprate the springs to something like Eibach!
I have these and Eibach springs on my Storm and they are faultless.

Ring these people up, they were selling the B4's for about £35 a corner a while ago.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http:// ... CvTyOLMfhg

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Have to say I've gone right off bilsteins now, having had one snap that was only 3 months / 2k miles old

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

The B8s on my Saab and my 'rocco are still fine. Saabs have done 9k since fitting in April, I think you were unlucky Nate.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Nate

Post by Nate »

Having searched about on tinternet, it would seem that certain cars have problems with them

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3