Need radio wiring help

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MattRocco
fill in the right answer: 15

Need radio wiring help

Post by MattRocco »

Hi guys, at some point one of the previous owners of my Rocco has not just removed the radio but physically cut out and the connectors so all I'm left with is a bunch of wires. I've got a few ISO connectors kicking around but need to know what wire to what pin so I don't plug it in and set something on fire!

I know the oxygen free cable will be for speakers and assume brown is earth and red live but unsure on the blue/white wire and the red wires with bullet connectors on

Any help much appreciated
Matt

mr.brown

Re: Need radio wiring help

Post by mr.brown »

Grey with blue stripe is the illumination wire.

The red seems to be split into the two bullet connectors most likely in order to feed the permanent and switched live of a stereo.

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

The brown is indeed earth, the main red cable will be permanent live (run a multi-meter across it) and the red spur from that live will be for a radio that required a switched live. The blue and white cable looks more blue and grey, if that is the case it is the illumination (not required on modern radios).

So I presume that there are only two speakers? If you are going to run four speakers you will have to fit two more speaker cables.

If you get a radio that requires a switched live then I suggest taking the feed from the blower switch (yellow and black cable) including an inline fuse, solder in and cover with heat shrink.

As I said before, use a multi-meter to check and disconnect the battery before messing with the permanent live.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

My eye sight is not so good it seems! :)
Yeah I think it's just the two front door speakers. Not entirely sure as I thought it's supposed to have rears in the shelf type bits? Never looked though.
I got a Sony headunit to go in so if I don't need the illumination wire should I just tape the end off and leave it be?

Cheers for the advice guys! I don't suppose you know the in which Pin numbers the wires go in the connectors? Or have a old picture kicking around

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

MattRocco wrote: Yeah I think it's just the two front door speakers. Not entirely sure as I thought it's supposed to have rears in the shelf type bits? Never looked though.
There should be rear speakers in the parcel shelf supports of a mk2. Even if they're gone you may find the wires tucked up somewhere behind the dash.
MattRocco wrote: I got a Sony headunit to go in so if I don't need the illumination wire should I just tape the end off and leave it be?
Yes
MattRocco wrote:I don't suppose you know the in which Pin numbers the wires go in the connectors? Or have a old picture kicking around
Into the ISO connectors? If you have a standard aftermarket ISO harness all the colours will be the same.

MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

That's perfect thank you very much!!

MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

Hey guys I got amoungst sorting some interior bits out I notcied there is also a grey wire with no other colours on, where does this need to go to on the ISO? Sorry for all the questions