Locking pin to key hall sender to distributor

NEW section - if you're having a mare with Vagcat and need a quick answer stick your requests in here. Keep things simple and only reply if you know the correct answer.
Don't know German? look here
Forum rules
Be clear - e.g - Mk1 Bumper clips, Mk2 filler neck - 55l tank, Mk2 wiper motor (single wiper) - you get the drift?
marcus
fill in the right answer: 10

Locking pin to key hall sender to distributor

Post by marcus »

Does anyone know the part number for this tiny pin in the distributor: the pic is from VAGCAT for a 1985 Scirocco but part number 18 is not in the parts list. Basically, I think I've lost mine and need to obtain or fabricate a new one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1985 GTL 1.8

Member number 928 (wish I had one)
GTXTRA

Re: Locking pin to key hall sender to distributor

Post by GTXTRA »

try the link in here marcus - i've found it does list numbers that vagcat doesn't

http://www.sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/ ... 25&t=16201

Serial Rocco-ist.........
marcus

Post by marcus »

Thanks, well worth knowing about especially if VAGCAT is offline, sadly in this instance it's showing exactly what VAGCAT does, ie nothing for #18.

Kicking myself, because I knew it was risky handling such a tiny part, and if I'd had my wits about me I'd have measured the damned thing, that way at least I could have fabricated a replacement, it's only a pin approx 2mm diameter by 5mm long but approx isn't good enough...

1985 GTL 1.8

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

marcus wrote:Thanks, well worth knowing about especially if VAGCAT is offline, sadly in this instance it's showing exactly what VAGCAT does, ie nothing for #18.

Kicking myself, because I knew it was risky handling such a tiny part, and if I'd had my wits about me I'd have measured the damned thing, that way at least I could have fabricated a replacement, it's only a pin approx 2mm diameter by 5mm long but approx isn't good enough...
If you have real problems replacing it I could help.
Got about 15-20 used and new distributors lying in stock so could always take one apart.

Let me know .

Joost

marcus

Post by marcus »

Cheers, I'll bear that in mind. I'm hoping when I look tomorrow in daylight, I'll find it (dim - literally - trying to put the dizzy back together by torchlight).

1985 GTL 1.8

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

marcus wrote:Cheers, I'll bear that in mind. I'm hoping when I look tomorrow in daylight, I'll find it (dim - literally - trying to put the dizzy back together by torchlight).
Try finding it with using a magnet, 'sweep' it over the floor and alongside cracks and so on, I have once found a part that way which was fallen between the floorbords and could not be seen with the eye but did find it in the end.

Joost

marcus

Post by marcus »

In case anyone's interested, it looks like the VW part number is 035-905-319, and the Bosch part number is 1233 101 035. Not that that helps me, seems they're obsolete (now there's a surprise...).

1985 GTL 1.8

marcus

Post by marcus »

Briefly got my hopes up when I found Ignition Car Parts in Basildon list the pin and phoned up.

A really helpful guy called Peter thought they did have them but when I called back he said he couldn't find any.

However, he said they're so fiddly that when they rebuild distributors, they don't use the pins but instead place a small length of solder down the hole formed by the grooves in the wheel and the shaft, with about 12mm extra bent over the wheel. Then heat from a small blow torch is applied to melt the solder quickly, which will then fill the 'hole' in a similar manner to the pin.

No doubt the greasy surfaces prevent the solder from sticking to the sides.

1985 GTL 1.8