Removal of MK1 dash.

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Removal of MK1 dash.

Post by mark1gls »

After taking my dash out many times trying to fix my speedo I thought I would post up some pictures of how I removed it.

If like me you have a radio in remove the cage, bend the tabs up on the cage.
There is all of 1 screw holding the dash in, remove this.
Pull off the heater controls.
Remove this end of the the heater control cover first then it sides out from the other end.
There is a blub and socket attached to the back, twist the bulb holder out of the cover.
Next remove the blower control unit.
Two ways to do this, remove the electrical connection at the back and leave the control unit in the dash or press in the metal clip at the side and pull it out, it comes out one side at a time.
Blower electrical contection, it can only fit on one was as there is a cut out in the middle so easy to put back on.
Then remove the 3 switches above the radio, there is 2 tabs either side of the switchs which you press in and remove the whole switch by pulling it back from the dash. The switch DOES NOT come out the front of the dash.
(I'm pressing in the 2 tabs in the photo)
Once all the switches are removed go to the other end of the dash.
First remove the light switch from the dash, leave the electrical connection pluged in and reach behind the dash from under neath and press the 2 tabs in at the top and bottom of the switch and pull back to remove.
Tabs on light switch. I left it hanging at the back of the dash while I removed every thing else.
Next remove the handbrake light etc above the light switch, again 2 tabs top and bottom of the switch. (this one has less room then the light switch so remove the light switch first so the is more room)
Undo and remove the speedo cable, mine was a screw on type.

The dash should pull out, check and double check there is noting holding it in. I found gently pulling at each end first to losen the rubber feet which hold it in place worked for me then hold the dash between the rev and speedo and pull out.
You can only pull it out a little as you have to remove the main electrical connection the the dash.

You should now be left with this.
There seems to be two types of dash, one with the battery light in the middle and this has a different larger connection than my dash.
(mine at the top)
Again mine at the top.

This is how I did it so I'm not taking any responsibility if your dash fixes differnet and you break something!
Good luck!
Last edited by mark1gls on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
WayneMK1

Re: Removal of dash.

Post by WayneMK1 »

Thanks mark, very helpful. I need to replace the bulbs behind my dash - I've only got about 1 working!

History: 1983CL, 1984Gti, 1990Scala i, Corrado VR6, 1985 Storm, 1991 Scala i,1989 Scala i, Mk3 2.0GT TDI, Current: 1980 Mk1 Storm,
GTXTRA

Re: Removal of MK1 dash.

Post by GTXTRA »

STICKIED.

very useful

Serial Rocco-ist.........
mark1gls

Re: Removal of dash.

Post by mark1gls »

If its just the blub above the speedo you can remove the cover underneath the dash then you can just see it, twist the connector then remove it but first try switching the lights on and twist the connector a little as sometimes it comes lose so it stops the blub working.
You can see where it is if you look at the photos above, its the one with a black wire going to it.

Membership No. 323
Nate

Post by Nate »

absolutely excellent post. top marks sir! :good:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
mk1sc1r0cc0
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mk1sc1r0cc0 »

Thanks Mark - an excellent guide.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Do you see the pictures as I only get the update your account logo from photobucket?
I should be transferring pictures over so should hopefully update this thread in the next month.

Membership No. 323