Original Scirocco GTX 16v Rebuild

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
jbo
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Original 16v Rocco Project

Post by jbo »

ianaudia4 wrote:Is that an Audi gear knob, reverse in the wrong place?
Tis indeed Ian! I am still looking for a decent gear knob that isnt some stupid chav lookig thing and doesnt use the three grub screws to attach. I hate those things, im constantly reattaching them.

The audi knob is pretty comfy....plus it works as a cheap anti theft device as long as i park the car facing forwards at something! lol

I will change the whole gear shaft to my shorter one. Ive been driving like this for two years now and forgot how horrible the long throw rocco ones were!

jbo

Post by jbo »

I have a working car!!!!

It turns out to be three things - A dodgey ground, a broken ignition switch and a disconnected alternator return wire.

He did not mention where the ground problems were but said it explains things turning off when other were on. If only someone suggested this to me....... :hugegrin:

The ignition switch it seems doesnt switch on the main feed. Soemthing inside is faulty he says. This explains the relays in the old loom. As a short term fix he has jumped it from somewhere else. I willl take the switch off 8v this weekend.

The alternator return line was plugged into the battery causing the batt light to stay on and flatten my batt.

All this sorted for £60! Awesome. I will put his details up on the links page. Great guy, h eeven came down for free to assess the work.

It's gonna be a busy weekend! :groove:

Jason

jbo

Post by jbo »

I've been thinking about options for the interior....... As i cannot seem to find/swap one im thinking what can be done with the mk1 rocco interior I have. The seats arent selling on here or ebay. I will leave the auction to run to the end just in case someone is interested.

If they dont go I was thinking about converting them to a mk2. Am i right in thinking that the only part I need to change would be bottom frames? How hard is it to change this? The rear bench I will adapt to fit, it shouldnt be too hard looking at it.

I really dont want to butcher a set of mk1 seats but they dont appear to be going anywhere anytime quick....and I literally cant drive my car without any seats!

If anyone has a battered up set of seats I can buy (or swap for other bits) then please let me know. Any thoughts, ideas or links would be much appreciated.

Jason

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I've got a set of mauritius blue seats from a helios scala. The driver's seat's fabric has been patched with some unattractive leatherette, but everything else is fine. Let me know if you fancy a trip to Birmingham.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
jbo

Post by jbo »

the edmundator wrote:I've got a set of mauritius blue seats from a helios scala. The driver's seat's fabric has been patched with some unattractive leatherette, but everything else is fine. Let me know if you fancy a trip to Birmingham.
Hmm interesting interesting..... I've had a few offers for seats now. So may wait for those.

Still no luck with the selling of my god damn mk1 seats so may grab yours to convert them onto. How much are you looking for them?

Jason

jbo

Post by jbo »

Im now driving the car. My plan was to borrow my mates gtx untill the end of the month but it would cost too much to put on temp cover and if i transferred my policy he would have to cancel his. Far too much hassle so I have gaffer taped the clocks in and im driving the 16v. Compared to my 8v its a huge huge difference. Frightingly fast! :hugegrin:

The car is literally a bare metal inside with all the switches etc hanging from the middle. Im off on a training course to bristol for a week so will see how it goes on the motorway.

Still no luck with a rocco interior so have decided to go with a set of corrados from mrp. The rear towbar and light clusters will be coming off today. I also need to change the speedo cable as the clocks fel off on a corner and broke the cable. Fortunately it was a standard 8v one as its now broken?!

The wheels have a slow puncture so as soon as i find a replacement bbs ra I will be putting them back on and selling the av wheels.

The car runs very cold while driving so assume this is a stuck open stat. I will sort this out when im back from bristol. Ill just have to drive it slowy! Ha!

jbo

Post by jbo »

Hi All!

Sorry it's been quite a while since the last update. I have got quite alot done but havent updated the thread.

The dash fit without any problems after angle grinding the isv mount off. The only problem is that where the steering mount is slightly higher than it should normally sit so so I cant mount the dash properly. I have had a play arond with it and it seems that if i unhook the left conector and carefully fold it back then it wil fit. Hmmm....

Another problem is that the bottom trays dont fit. I really want these in as the interior looks a bit weird without it. I can probably make up some brackets or something.

I bought a couple of corrado seats of mr p and they look pretty nice. Soo much nicer than the standard seats. The rear has been completely bare for weeks but i have finally put it back together! I got a set of standard non-folding seats from a helios scirocco. The guy I got them of lived near the place i was doing my course in bristol!

The rear strut brace is back and looks pretty good. The rear wiper wash pump was shot so i put the one from my 8v in. The horrible rear tow bar bumper is gone and a normal one put back in. So so much lighter lol.

2.5" Straight through system with a jetex rear box. Mmmmmm...

My awesome amp install

The normal bumper back on...finally

The not-so-stained carpet i have?!

The wiring recrmimped from the towbar bumper.

Working vdo gauges! Finally ahahahah

Nice and clean rear cards!

The back look done. (The dragon sticker will be going)

Helios blue rear seats. (Lighter than the splitting ones)

A couple of rear shot with the strur bar in.

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

Hey dude, any chance of some full pics of the rear strut brace...
Looks a neat bit of kit :yup:

jbo

Post by jbo »

monzajake wrote:Hey dude, any chance of some full pics of the rear strut brace...
Looks a neat bit of kit :yup:
Will do matey! You'll have to wait till the weekend im afraid. It def makes a difference! Ive only just put it back in after two weeks without it and can really feel the tightness hard corners!

jbo

Post by jbo »

..well i got close to work on tuesday and the engine lost power and there was a loud knocking sound coming from the engine.

One of the valves went in the head. It's going to cost a hhuuuuggggeeee amount to fix the original head so i haved bought mrps whole engine for £100. The only problem is that its just the sump, block and head. All the internals are present so wont have to touch any of that. It had 90k on the clock and was pushin 146bhp when pulled out. Its nice and clean and has been painted. This means lots of pics for u people lol.

Im so pissed off!!! lol. On the plus point it means I can clean the engine bay and parts as i put it all back together. My mum has a friend who has a whole garage setup at his house so hopefully can throw him some cash for the transplant.

A mate at work is going to hopefully lend me his mk2 golf diesel.

Jason

jbo

Post by jbo »

Long time no type so I thought id give you all an update....

I have MrPs nice new engine and had arranged with my mums friend to get the car to his garage as he has all the equiptment and no how. Unfortunately I had a text the other day letting me know that I couldnt bring it over as his brother, who owns half the garage, wouldnt let him! Aarrgghhhhh!!

This means I would have to do all the work myself and purchase a hell of a load of equiptment that I would user rarely if ever again. A couple of mates know some people who know some people who have all the hoists, stands etc who wouldnt mind lending a hand. As much as i appreciate this it would mean that I would have to be pay someone and it would have to be a day/weekend job.

Becasue of the cost and mainly time time time, i have decided to buy a full performance head instead. It is fully rebuilt with extensive work -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vw-16v-Gas-flowed ... 3a58b9b188

This would make much more sense money-wise. The guy sells these outright for £300 which still works out cheaper than a hoist and a stand! So I will hopefully get this on the auction a bit cheaper and whack it in my car. I will also give the car a full service. As long as my block is healthy I should hopefully be driving the car after a weekend worth of work! Ohh i miss the car!

I'm driving a mates mk2 golf td at the mo and for a 1.6 its pretty damn nippy! The fuel economy comapred to me drivng my car as i do is ridiculos! It's costing me almost half to get to work and back a week! The paint work is a bit battered but I do miss the mk2s. He's lowered it 45mm too! :hugegrin:

I have finally finally finally found a newly refurbed bbs ra and have bought a new pirelle p6000 the match the other three new ones. They look awesome and tried them on the diesel but rubbed so they will be goinng bavk on the rocco.

Progress will be made and pics will be added. Lesson learnt.......dont buy a car of welsh people that take out the thermostat and wire the fan into the ignition. Aaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!

jbo

Post by jbo »

Well its been a very painful two weeks with the car. It turned out the only problem with that car was a blow head gasket. It literally melted inbetween cylinder one and two, hence compression problems. I only found this out after taking the head off. I was mortified becuase: 1 i should not of taken what the garage said as face and 2 I should of removed the head before buying bits.

Here is what i ahve spent since the garage told me "one of the valves has blown" -

£115 - Fixing the wheel bearing on a mates car i was borrowing. (Couldnt really ask him to pay for it as i was borrrowing for free :hugegrin: )
£70 - Garage above originally thinking it was a shot dizzy cap. And labour. (Not paying!)
£190 - Engine from MrP. This includes shipping.
£20 - Head bolts
£40 - Havign all the bolts removed on the head. Exhaust/inlet manifold etc etc. I started to strip the heads!
£40 - Head gasket set. Got this at trade, normally £120 i was told!
£345 - Performance head from guy on ebay.

A total of £820 all because I was told the wrong thing. Fortunately I got a full refund on the performance head, the guy was very understanding!

I attempted to fit a new head gasket myself but snapped one of the new head bolts. My torque wrench didnt seem to be working. Im so seriously trousers off with the whole thing and the amount of cash Ive spent. I am just going to book the car in my local garage over the next cpl of weeks to have the bolt removed and the whole engine put back together. Yes this will cost a bit more cash but the car will be done, correctly by a guy i can trust to do a good job.

Rant over.....the next post will be "none engine moaning " lol. I have got quite a few other bits done but my phone went through the washing machine last night. I should get a replacment this evenig so i will put my menory card in and add some pics to the post.

jbo

Post by jbo »

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since I added anything else to this post.....

My local garage couldnt book be in for a whole three weeks as they were busy and one of the mechanics was away. So durign this time I had the head skimmed and cleaned internally. This cost about £180 but I dont mind paying that much for piece of mind and to not remove the head again. I then booked the car in the garage and they put everything back on and only charged me £80!!! With the amount f cash I had wasted I was pretty chuffed with that! :hugegrin:

As much as I hate doign them I finally decided to improve the headlight loom. This took a hell of a lot longer than I remembered. I knwo you can get kits online but I already had the wire, relays and crimps anyway. Not a bad job if I dont say so myself!

My parents got me a nice surprise for my birthday. Check out what the licence reads on my new tax dics - :vcool:

After much much searching I finally found a BBS RA that is the correct size. The one I bought before was a v weird PCD that didnt quite fit a VW. Ive never seen those before! I got this for just £50 of ebay and its brand new!! The tire was also new but I sold this and bought another P6000 to match the rest of the BBS's.

Everything had been running fine for a coupe of weeks but on the way to my girlfriends the car lost power and kept jumping quite badly. I got towed back home and the RAC guy said it was most likely the spark plugs. As these were the only bits I didnt change with everything else it made sense. I bought some new plugs....didnt fix the problem! I took it to the garage and that one of the wires inside the dizzy had broken! Aarrgghhh! But I managed to get to GSF and get a recon part exchange one for only £50. The garage then fitted it and all was well for quite a while. I also bought a low temp thermostat and fan switch to keep the car cool. It sits just under the middle on the coolant gauge.

A week or two ago I noticed that my car was leaving a nice trail of oil everywhere. I had a look under the sump and counted 10 missing bolts! ...10! I dont know how the hell I missed that before. And the ones that were still there were only hand tight. I bought some more and fittted them.

After spending all the money on the 2.5" exhaust system I have been pondering about getting a manifold for quite a while now. The one in my car had holes in it and I was getting sick of the horrible sound it was making. After much reading and asking around I got the impression that if I wanted a decent one that fitted correctly I would be paying quite alot. I then thought, why not keep the existign manifold and jsut replace the downpipe? After speaking to a couple of people thy informed me that the manifold itself isnt hugely restrictive, it's the downpipe.

So I went to Tourqe Techniques in Wilton, Salisbury and had them make up a whole 2.5" downpipe. This was all done for about £180! Not bad at all me thinks! All of the oil has now been cleaned up so excuse the mess. The car now purrs like a big cat and I can now see why people love that twin cam sound! :hugegrin:

All has been running welll for a while but I started thinking this car is not runnign anywere near as quick as it should be. For somethign that is supposed to be quicker than a 944 I wasnt really feeling it. So I bought four new injectors and a fuel filter. ......now it goes even faster than when I first got it. Without a doubt the fastest of all the cars ive owned. With the sound of the twin cams coming throught the 2.5" complete system it rea,,y does but a smile on your face! It's also imporved my petrol consumption ha lol.

I finally gave the car a good clean. These are only a few pics and as you can tell the paint work is pretty crap!

jbo

Post by jbo »

By the end of the year im hoping to get the following done -

- Have the whole car bare metal resprayed. This will be done in the same colour as this is how she was built. I also have a brand new complete 16v rocco badge kit to go on too.

- Get the other 3 bbs wheels restored. One is peeling quite badly and the other two are kerbed. I hate cleaing these damn things!

- Source a storm interior and get the whole thing died black as this is what the car shoudl of originally come with.

- Fit a central locking kit. Im gettign tired and shouting at the girlfriend lol

GTXTRA

Re: Original Scirocco GTX 16v Rebuild

Post by GTXTRA »

coming together nicely Jason.

Serial Rocco-ist.........