kill the rust

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

kill the rust

Post by james butler »

anyone got any sure fire ways of treating and painting over surface rust/blisters. ive got a few bubbles from key marks and knocks and scuffs. i want to take a grinder to it, fill in the gaps and repaint but i went into halfrauds the other day and hammerites selling a rust killer that u can paint over. is this any gud or a waste of time as i want to do it properly but moneys tight.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Mr Funk

Re: kill the rust

Post by Mr Funk »

Rust is like an X Factor finalist, you have to totally eradicate it otherwise it'll just keep coming back. Best thing to do is cut it out.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
SCOTMCDOT

Post by SCOTMCDOT »

Or use bilt hammer products. They really are amazing.

If you are grinding back the rust you want to put on Hydrate 80. Its not cheap, but its the Canis lupus familiaris' male generative glands. Bilt Hammer products actually seem to work. I got tipped off to it a few years ago by Tim Morgan, the then editor of Practical Classics.

http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosionprevention.html

Mr funk i still have that SD card of yours, i could not figure out how to get any music off it. Will pop it in the post next week mate.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

FOrgot about BH, a feat considering how much of their stuff I used on the truck.
That and a healthy dose of POR-15 should keep the rust at bay.
Make sure your address is on the envelope somewhere Scott, I'll whip the tunes onto a doovd

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
james butler

Post by james butler »

ok i have ground down the rust and have decided to cut out the rusty bit and weld in a new bit. other than the battery is there anything else i should disconnect before comecing any welding? last time i managed to cook the alternator because i didnt sisconnect the battery. oops :blush:

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

Just the battery. Take it out of the car for good measure!

:good: this end for Bilt Hamber products too -swear by them.

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
james butler

Post by james butler »

cheers very merry christmas n happy new year 2 all